question

raygan-kelly7997 avatar image
raygan-kelly7997 asked raygan-kelly7997 answered

Dial call to RingCentral number (not RingOut) via HTTP GET

I've been using the RingOut API described here to connect calls using a simple script. It works great for calls where the calling party is on a non-RingCentral number (a via RingOut) but it doesn't seem to work for connecting a call to a RingCentral number, for example if the caller is using the RingCentral soft phone app.

Is there a similar, simple API to connect a call from a RingCentral number to an outside number? Ideally something with a simple HTTP GET command like the RingOut API?

ringout
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
As far as I can tell, there is only one ringout API available. Could you please post the error message?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
You can make a direct call (not ringout) with the webrtc API:  https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone

But if your app is not running in browser, it is not a viable solution.
1 |3000

raygan-kelly7997 answered
I'm not getting an error message when using the RingOut API.  It just fails to do anything. When I use the address below specifying an external number (like my cell phone) as the "from" number, the call connects. When I specify an RC number nothing happens.  (I've Xed out all the user and phone info)
https://service.ringcentral.com/ringout.asp?cmd=call&username=1888XXXXXXX&ext=X&password=XXXXXXXXXX&from=XXXXXXXXXX&to=XXXXXXXXXX&clid=1888XXXXXXX&prompt=1
It's not particularly surprising that the RingOut API isn't working for this, since I think the documentation states that it doesn't work for RC numbers. I'm looking for a way to start a direct call.

The webrtc API isn't an option for me. I'm doing this in a shell script. In this case, like this: 
curl -silent -o ~/.log.html "https://service.ringcentral.com/ringout.asp?cmd=call&username=1888XXXXXXX&ext=X&password=XXXXXXXXXX&from=XXXXXXXXXX&to=${number}&clid=1888XXXXXXX&prompt=1"  
Really all I want is a way to run a script locally on a Mac to start a phone call. If the RingCentral for Mac softphone app supported AppleScript I'd be able to do what I'm trying to do that way too, but it doesn't seem to.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
1 |3000

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
> Really all I want is a way to run a script locally on a Mac to start a phone call. 

That is easy. Run the following command:

open "rcmobile://call?number=123456789"

It will make the call in softphone.
1 |3000

raygan-kelly7997 answered
Thanks! I had been looking for a way to do this with AppleScript, or failing that using something server side like the RingOut API, but this is much simpler.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys