question

Dustin Nielson avatar image
Dustin Nielson asked Welcome commented

Outbound calls not recognizing numbers being pushed in phone trees

We just started using Ring Central. There are many times a day we need to call customers back. If the customer we are calling has an IVR Menu/Phone tree and we need to press a number to get to a certain department - their phone system is not recognizing the number press from the app dial pad. For example, "Press 1 for sales" 1 is selected on the app dial pad, the customers phone system acts like we didnt press a button. This is happening with all of our customers, not just 1 or 2. So I dont think the issue is on their end. Any help is appreciated

ivr
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Welcome avatar image Welcome commented ·

I am just going to lay out my thoughts about this issue, so comment might be a bit all over the place:

Important point

- issue isn't reproducible 100% of the time. Sometimes key presses (DTMF codes) work normally

Next steps
- find a customer for which key presses don't work.
- call them using all possible apps ( Mobile app, Desktop app, Web app)
- call them using a deskphone if you have one
- see if issue is reproducible on all platforms

Next steps2
- on your keyboard try pressing the keys(1 for sales etc.) with the numbers above the letters
- on the right side of your keyboard try pressing the keys using the numbers of the number pad
- on the apps try clicking with the mouse on the dial pad to press the keys
- if only the num pad on the keyboard isn't working try pressing the "Num Lock Key"

Important point2
while you are testing write down all of the information you are gathering + date&time in case you need to raise this to support.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Dustin Nielson avatar image
Dustin Nielson answered Welcome commented

Thanks for the input. This is 100% reproducible all of the time. If any company we call has a phone tree system - we cant get though it as it does not recognize when we use the dial pad to make a selection. I used some of your advise above, tried using the keypad and the number keys to navigate though a phone tree - it did not work. The keypad and number keys just transferred me to internal extensions instead of being registered by the outgoing call as menu selections.

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Welcome avatar image Welcome commented ·

You need to speak to RC support and provide them with call samples. It seems like a deeper underlying issue, that needs to get fixed on the backend.

-The keypad and number keys just transferred me to internal extensions instead of being registered by the outgoing call as menu selections.
(That's one of the reasons why you should be using 3 or 4 digit extension numbers.) I find it surprising that the keypresses connected you to an internal extension. I was not able to reproduce this on my end.
When I called an IVR menu and tried to dial an internal extension I got an "you have dialed an invalid selection" followed by the IVR prompt again.

There isn't a setting you can tweak in order to change this behavior, so reach out to RC Support.

1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app