News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
CallOut using mobile/desktop app?
Tags: rest api
Mar 24, 2020 at 7:14am   •   5 replies  •  1 likes
Andy Brandt

Hello, we have implemented a simple auto-dialer which uses the CallOut api to initiate a call on a specific device. It works great for any hardware phones that we have, but we are wondering if there's a way for it to work with softphones too? I got it working with the RingCentral Phone desktop app, but it doesn't appear to work with either the regular RingCentral desktop or mobile apps, or the RC Phone android app.

Basically, the issue is that they never appears in the list of devices (using RestClient.Restapi().Account().Extension().Device().Get() ), or it always shows as offline. Is there something simple i'm missing, or is what i'm trying to do not possible?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

5 Answers
answered on Jun 30, 2023 at 2:21am  

Following the recent blog post on the unified app improvements, does the RC app now support deviceID ?

https://www.ringcentral.com/us/en/blog/ringcentrals-redesigned-app/

on Jun 30, 2023 at 1:57pm   •  1 likes

Unfortunately, it is still not supported.

The only workaround solution is to implement an app "setup" step. The app setup requires the user to use the RC app to make an outbound call to any number and the user can hangup when the call is ringing (or even before ringing). Your app need to subscribe for the telephony/sessions event notification. You will catch the notification of that outbound call and you can detect the device id from the "from": { "deviceId": "xxxx" }

However, the device id will be different if the user closes the browser tab (if the browser app is being used). Or close and restart the RC app desktop! So one has to build a logic to setup and update the dynamic device id.

answered on May 23, 2022 at 9:07am  

@Phong Vu

I was wondering if there is an answer to this yet? (To get the device id of the desktop app). When the RC desktop app makes calls then we see its device id in the event output, so we can find out the id by that method. And using the id (after we found it in the events) can then be used in CallOut. But waiting for an event is not exactly a reliable method.

on May 23, 2022 at 9:29am   •  0 likes

Unfortunately, the RC desktop app, RC mobile app and other WebRTC phone apps still do not register their dynamic device id. The only way to get the device id of those apps is to use that weak workaround solution. We are still working on a solution for this but at this point in time, I have no ETA yet.

on May 23, 2022 at 1:40pm   •  0 likes

Thanks @Phong Vu . When you say the "weak workaround solution" then are you referring to your reply in my other post? (https://community.ringcentral.com/questions/105679/can-i-get-deviceid-in-telephony-subscription-event.html?childToView=105827)

I understand that we can get the Device Id during calls now, but I'm hoping to find a way to get the Device Id for the RC app without making a call. I'm hoping to use this Device Id for CallOut.

I know that if I get the RC Device Id from events then I can use it for CallOut, but that isn't really useful/scalable.

on May 23, 2022 at 1:57pm   •  1 likes

Yes, you have to make an outbound call from the RC app, detect the call event using the telephony session event notification and grab the device id. But, that dynamic device id may change when the user logs out and login from different network/location.

answered on Sep 27, 2021 at 12:39pm  

I too would like an update on this. Obviously with so much of the workforce working remotely and using the RC Desktop app on their laptops, the support for CallOut from the app rather than a hard phone is imperative for the API to even provide the most basic value.

on Sep 27, 2021 at 12:46pm   •  0 likes

Unfortunately, it is still unsupported for the RC mobile and desktop app. For desktop environment, all you can do right now is to install the RingCentral Desktop phone app (soft-phone) and you can make a call-out from that device.

answered on May 10, 2021 at 3:56am  

Hi, is there maybe an update on this post?

answered on Apr 1, 2020 at 8:51am  

Choosing the correct platform for professional app development is one of the most difficult decisions for companies.

answered on Mar 31, 2020 at 9:37am  

Hi Andy,

Sorry for this long delayed response.

The RC mobile apps and the RC Desktop app do not register a device id so that you cannot find it from the extension device list. This is the current issue w/o a solution. I will work with the eng. team to see how we can overcome this and update you once I get a solution.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us