News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Sorry, you can only make calls to other extensions. To make external calls contact your admin.
Tags: outgoing calls
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:21pm   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
Maria Pratticó

I get this message when trying to place a call from my laptop.

It allows me to receive, or switch calls from the phone to the laptop, but not to make a call.

Same account different device: I can easily make calls from my app on my phone.

How can I solve this?

on Jan 6, 2021 at 1:28pm   •  0 likes

Hi Maria,

Please send us an email at community.support@ringcentral.com so we can troubleshoot.

on Jan 6, 2021 at 1:42pm   •  0 likes

Just sent, thank you!

3 Answers
answered on Apr 13, 2021 at 12:56pm  

Please check in the web portal if your extension has a Digital Line assigned to it. It is the type of phone number that will let you make outgoing calls to external numbers. Otherwise, if it is only a Direct Number, you can only receive calls. You can access the KB Article below on how to check if you have a Digital Line.

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/How-to-Distinguish-Direct-Virtual-Number-From-DigitalLine.html

You need to contact your Super Admin to convert your Direct Line to a Digital Line. It will cost an additional charge since its price is higher than a Direct Number. The Super Admin may follow the steps on the KB Article below on how to convert.

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/Convert-a-Direct-Number-to-a-DigitalLine-in-the-RingCentral-Online-Account.html

answered on Apr 13, 2021 at 1:09pm  

Yes, its digital line that allows you to make an external call to any number. You can add a Direct Number to any of user's extension which you want to allow to make an outbound call. Without this digital line you can only able to receive the incoming calls.

To add this you need to log into your online account and select & assign this to an extension which you want to make an external call.

answered on Jan 6, 2021 at 2:41pm  

Good afternoon Maria,

It may have something to do with AUTHORIZE COMPUTER. Generally, if you cannot make outbound calls, it is because you have another computer/laptop registered (Softphone) with RingCentral. You can only have 1 authorized at a time for your extension/number. When I have to work remotely and do not have my work-provided laptop, I must un-authorize the work laptop to be able to make calls from my personal laptop which also has the app.

Here is the link to the Knowledge Base Article regarding this issue.

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/4219.html

Wendy

on Mar 9, 2021 at 8:33am   •  0 likes

THAT'S RIDICULOUS! Agents should be able to place calls on their mobile phones through the app as well as through their computers! Why ole why do this to us RingCentral? AirCall is looking a lot more better these days!

on Mar 9, 2021 at 9:06am   •  0 likes

Hi @Matthew Brokamp, are you experiencing this issue? Please email us at community.support@ringcentral.com so we can check on this.

on Mar 10, 2021 at 8:39am   •  0 likes

Thank you Mary for pointing me in the right direction. :)

on Mar 10, 2021 at 8:46am   •  0 likes

You're very much welcome @Matthew Brokamp!

on Jan 6, 2021 at 2:46pm   •  0 likes

I didn't know that, thanks! However the phone with the app died today, is there any way I can authorize and start calling from my work laptop?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us