News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Problem sending SMS containing a shortened URL within the text message
Tags: rest api
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:58am   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
kobie-williams

I am sending an SMS with a shortened URL in the message using your API sandbox while implementing password flow grant type from the developer sandbox.

The message gets queued and is never sent to the recipient because of the tiny URL contained in the text of the message. Does Ring Central not allowed shortened URLs to be sent over text?

If it is allowed then what do I need to do to get it to send a SMS with a shortened URL in the message?

4 Answers
answered on Aug 2, 2019 at 3:56pm  

Looks like branded links only work i.e. rebrandly.com or https://www.capsulink.com

answered on Aug 2, 2019 at 12:52pm  

Unfortunately, google no longer supports the service for new users.

answered on Aug 2, 2019 at 12:43pm  

Yes, basically shortened url are considered as spam and can be blocked at the carrier level. May be they do as security reasons. You can check this issue with back-end Dev support team

answered on Aug 2, 2019 at 9:21am  

Hi,

RingCentral does not block messages with short URLs. However, some US carriers do if a message is sent from a VOIP number. They consider URLs shortened with some popular services as spam. Specifically, I've heard people may have issues with "bit.ly".

Please, try different shortener services. I've heard Google's one works fine ("goo.gl").

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us