News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
WebHook receiving multiple incoming-call-pickup events per call
Tags: sdk
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:07pm   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
matt-resmer

Hi,

I've got a WebHook that's successfully receiving subscribed incoming-call-pickup events for an extension when I make a call to it (dev sandbox) ... but ... for each single test call, I seem to receive MANY such events. For example, one call I did a while ago received 18 such events, all for the same call.

So, what I'd like to know is ...

- Is it that I'm somehow not responding to those callbacks properly or something so it keeps sending them? Or is that just normal behaviour?

- If it is normal behaviour, is there a better filter I can use so I only get one event per call with all the call data in it?

- If I do just need to keep receiving multiple events like that, how do I differentiate them? My system needs to be notified, once, for each individual call ... how can I check if an event I receive is for the same call as an event I received earlier, and therefore know to ignore it?

Many thanks for the help!

3 Answers
answered on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:47pm  
Worked it out ... just for the reference of anyone else who may read this later ...

Turns out that incoming-call-pickup events have absolutely nothing to do with calls being picked up. Instead, use this event filter ...

/restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/extension/{extensionId}/presence?detailedTelephonyState=true

When a call is ACTUALLY picked up, you'll receive one of these with a "CallConnected" telephonyStatus and a direction status of Inbound ... that's how you know an incoming call to that extension has been answered

answered on Feb 13, 2019 at 4:24pm  
Ahhh that's it, thank you Tyler. I seem to have 9 of them ... which explains the 18 events ... 9 start rings and 9 stop rings.

If I just have start and stop ring events, how do I know if the call was actually picked up?

The stop ring event seems to occur both if the call was picked up AND if the caller just hung up before the call was answered ... how do I actually know when a call is picked up by an extention? That event along with the call info is what I actually need

answered on Feb 13, 2019 at 4:14pm  
First of all, please confirm you didn't create duplicate WebHook subscriptions. You can get the list by HTTP GET /restapi/v1.0/subscription

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us