News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Choose caller id (phone number) for SMS text
Tags: errors, caller id, phone, rest api
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:38am   •   7 replies  •  0 likes
will-jensen

Is it possible to use any of the company numbers as the caller id for any of the extensions? Essentially having a many-to-many relationship between extensions and company numbers? I have a requirement to choose an extensions from number on an SMS text based on the recipient (basically making it look like the message is coming from a local area code).

When I choose a company number (not the main number) for an SMS I get the following error:

{

"errorCode" : "FeatureNotAvailable",

"message" : "Phone number doesn't belong to extension",

"errors" : [ {

"errorCode" : "MSG-304",

"message" : "Phone number doesn't belong to extension"

} ]

How can I set things up such that any company number can belong to any extension?

7 Answers
answered on Sep 17, 2020 at 2:54pm  

We really need to be able to put our main company number on outbound test messages so the recipient knows who we are and when they respond it goes to the operator ext. In my case several of us get the text as an email so it reaches the right person. I'm missing responses with the current set-up. Also customers start calling my extension phone number instead of the main number. This is a real issue.

answered on Sep 13, 2018 at 7:14am  
You can find useful information about the SMS API from this blog:
https://medium.com/ringcentral-developers/sms-apis-tips-tricks-and-quirks-982d2f705ae9

answered on Sep 10, 2018 at 2:05pm  
Hi Will,

When using the caller Id, we refer to phone calls or ring out calls only. For SMS we don't call it caller ID. So in your case for sending SMS, the answer is no, you cannot send SMS from any number which does not belong to that extension.

answered on Sep 10, 2018 at 2:00pm  
The user does not send from company operator. The user IS company operator. It is just an assignment. By default, extension 101 user is designated as an operator. And this user can send from company numbers and receive replies. But you can choose any other user extension and configure the system so that this user would act as an operator. But don't forget that all message types (voicemails, faxes, SMS, MMS) which are sent to company numbers will get to this extension's mailbox.

answered on Sep 10, 2018 at 1:26pm  
Thanks for the response. If the user sends from the company operator do any responses from the recipient get routed back to user's extension?

answered on Sep 10, 2018 at 1:01pm  
Will,

the system allows user to send SMS only from a number where this user can receive a reply back. This is the reason why you can only send from a number which is assigned to your extension. The only exception is Company Operator extension whose mailbox can receive messages sent to company numbers. So, if a user is logged in as a company operator it is possible to send SMS from company numbers on his/her behalf.

answered on Sep 10, 2018 at 11:47am  
Code snippet for example:

await userExtension.Sms().Post(new

{

to = new[] {new CallerInfo {phoneNumber = textMessage.ToPhoneNumber}},

from = new CallerInfo {phoneNumber = "any_company_number_here"},

text = textMessage.Body

});

(the userExtension is authenticated as the user extension number and their password)

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us