News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
How can you configure the first leg of RingOut call to ring both Desk phone and Softphone?
Tags: ring out
Jul 31, 2015 at 7:34am   •   8 replies  •  0 likes
xenios-llc

In the developer sandbox a Ringout call rings the Softphone, there is no physical desktop phone.

But when there is a softphone and a desktop phone only the desktop phone is ringing for me.

Other incoming calls ring both the desktop and the softphone.

8 Answers
answered on Aug 10, 2015 at 7:00pm  
You can "fix" this behavior when calling +18885225975*126 by switching off all greetings/screening/etc. via Service Web. However I understand that it is not acceptable in general.

The approach with forwardingNumberId should work. The whole idea of RingOut was that if you want to use  your RingCentral number as "from", it should directly connect you to the particular desk- or softphone. Since we are hiding phone numbers assigned to softphones in some cases, the only reliable way is to select it by its id from forwarding numbers list. So, when end-user initiates RingOut call, he/she should be prompted to choose the endpoint (desk phone, softphone, PSTN number) where he/she want to pick up the first leg.

answered on Aug 10, 2015 at 7:45am  

Yes, using +18885225975*126 worked as you described, but the "to" number was ringing first. I don't like that behavior.

The forwardingNumberId seems like it will be my solution. Difficult to test in the sandbox, as there is no hardphone coexisting with a softphone. I can validate it does connect to the softphone.

Thank you very much.

answered on Aug 7, 2015 at 1:32pm  
So, didn't it work as I described when you used +18885225975*126?

Actually there is one more way which is available for you in Sandbox and probably will be available in Production next week.

You can retrieve the list of forwarding numbers configured for extension using /account/~/extension/~/forwarding-number. In this list you will see the numbers of devices + external PSTN numbers available for call forwarding. You should be able to see your softphone in this list. Each of these numbers has ID. 

Now, when you call RingOut, instead of specifying  "from": { "phoneNumber": "XXXX"} you can specify "from": { "forwardingNumberId": "YYYY"} where YYYY is ID of your softphone.

It is new feature, and I wonder if it can be useful for you.

answered on Aug 7, 2015 at 1:05pm  

Then, as per your discussion, I experimented with +18885225975*126

answered on Aug 7, 2015 at 12:44pm  
Can you  tell me your production phone number you specify as "from" for RingOut?

answered on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:09pm  
If you go to service.ringcentral.com, do you see that "DirectNumber" is assigned to your desk phone? In this case such behavior is expected. For direct numbers with attached line (device), RingOut routes the call directly to this device (all rules are bypassed). And, you are right, this behavior differs from regular incoming call where call passes through all defined rules.

If you want all your phones to ring in case of RingOut, you should specify direct number not assigned to any device or company number + extension (like +18001234567*102). 

But keep in mind, that there is one disadvantage of such approach: your second leg will start connecting before you actually pick up the first leg (internally call is answered by answering machine which plays announcements, starts finding you according to defined rules, etc). So the use you are calling to might pick up call earlier than you and hear your automated greetings. 

answered on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:35am  

The "to" is my personal cell phone # and the "from" is the 'DirectNumber' of my extension.

I am logged into my softphone. My physical desktop phone rings but not the softphone.

In my sandbox configuration where I have only a softphone the first leg of the RingOut rings the softphone.

Incoming calls ring both, if they exist.

If the question is the form of the "to" and "from" numbers then the answer is "1NpaNxxXxxx".

answered on Aug 3, 2015 at 2:23pm  
Can you clarify how you call RingOut in this case? What numbers you are specifying as "from" and "to"?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us