News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
What is the correct process for integrating my application with RingCentral to send faxes?
Tags: integrations, developer sandbox, authentication, fax
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:38am   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
Luke Kim

I am a developer for an application where we want users to be able to send their contacts faxes. Currently, the way we have the integration with RingCentral built is that each customer needs to make their own RingCentral developer account, create their own private application in RingCentral, and then enter their own JWT token, client ID, and client secret into our application. This process is clearly too long and technical for an average user, so I was wondering how the process should work for integrating RingCentral into our application.

After talking to a RingCentral rep, I was told that a correct step would be for us, the developers of our application, to make a public app in RingCentral that our users then utilize to send their faxes. Here is where I have some questions:

1. If each RingCentral public app has its own client ID and secret that our application would use to communicate with it, do our customers even have to know of the client ID and secret at all?

2. I read online that a JWT token is essentially like a user's username and password. If we have one RingCentral public app that our users connect to, each of them would have to generate their own JWT tokens, correct?

3. What would be the best way for me to test sending faxes with our integration with RingCentral? I would like to use the exact same kind of account that our customers would use so that I can see and use the exact same integration process that our customers would see. Is there a way to create such an account without paying a cost?

1 Answer
answered on Apr 25, 2024 at 11:28am  

1. If each RingCentral public app has its own client ID and secret that our application would use to communicate with it, do our customers even have to know of the client ID and secret at all?

A/ No, the customers do not need to know the app credentials if you implement the 3-legged flow authorization.

2. I read online that a JWT token is essentially like a user's username and password. If we have one RingCentral public app that our users connect to, each of them would have to generate their own JWT tokens, correct?

A/ Yes, with JWT auth mode, your customers must know the app client id, so that they can generate theirJWT token bound to that app. And they have to give you the JWT to authenticate the app.

3. What would be the best way for me to test sending faxes with our integration with RingCentral? I would like to use the exact same kind of account that our customers would use so that I can see and use the exact same integration process that our customers would see. Is there a way to create such an account without paying a cost?

A/ Currently, Yes. You can signup for a free-tier sandbox account and setup the account properly with users and phone number and you can test the Fax feature (remember that attachments may not be supported in sandbox environment).

Check out the dev guides to learn more.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us