News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Authenticate as "root"
Tags: rest api
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:46pm   •   3 replies  •  1 likes
Uri Sevilla

Hi. I am following https://developers.ringcentral.com/guide/authentication/tokens

Trying to build app that will manipulate address books for all users in the company.

I am able to auth and get a token both in Sandbox and Prod.

But according to the page above, I need to supply

• a username
  • an extension
  • a password

If I supply the above for my user (I'm admin), I'm able to manage my address book, but when accessing another extension's, I get:

"In order to call this API endpoint for another extension, user needs to have [ReadPersonalContacts] permission granted with extended scope"

Questions:

1. What's the best approach to have my App auth, without using someone's personal credentials? Create another extension just for the API (that will incur cost)?
  2. How to resolve the above error? what is "extended scope"?

thanks

3 Answers
answered on Jun 21, 2020 at 5:17pm  

Hi Phong, thanks for your response, this confirms what I was able to do testing your API.

Unfortunately, my company finds that this limitation makes it nearly impossible for org's using RC to comply with privacy regulations since each user of RC in an org will have a separately managed contact list. We need a way for just the privacy/compliance people to "globablly delete" contact information -- but there is no scope we can give that allows them the ability to see other users' contacts.

Please help!

answered on Jun 16, 2020 at 11:55am  

The error is missed leading. It should be "not allowed" or "no permission". Even you login as a super admin, you still cannot read personal contacts of other extensions. I think we had a plan to support that but there might be some privacy protection regulation which stops us from implementing the feature.

answered on Jun 16, 2020 at 8:03pm  

Thanks. so what are my options to create an app that will sync each user's address book with our own data?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us