News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Tool to Read JSON files for Glip Compliance Export
Tags: message
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:22am   •   7 replies  •  6 likes
Yordanos Ayele

Regarding the Glip Compliance Export, can a tool be created on RingCentral to easily view and search the data in the files? This would allow customers to easily view the data and be able to generate a report for example.

on Jan 19, 2022 at 6:28am   •  0 likes

I have added the Idea: https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/CUSTCOM-I-4567 for a request that seems to fit what is requested here.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 12:28pm   •  0 likes

Would you be interested in a programmatic solution to this ? If so, what langauge/framework you are using and perhaps I can share a tutorial on how to export JSON to CSV in that.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 12:57pm   •  1 likes

What we would need is something that takes in the data from the export, and collates the comments back into a message format that is readable by non-IT. The file(s) would need to be able to be read without requiring the reference back to find out what an ID for a user or conversation thread is translated to.

This is just a dump of the database data that RingCentral has stored, and while this is what is being requested in essence, the fact that RingCentral seems to expect the client to code a solution or muddle through on their own is hindering the usage of the feature.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 12:02pm   •  0 likes

One more question, I apologize. What exactly are you trying to accomplish or produce in the end? The use case here will help inform our efforts internally about how best to recommend you solve the problem at hand.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 1:01pm   •  -1 likes
Example case: Employee is fired for bad conduct and HR needs the records of the messages sent/received. While the data export is technically the data requested, this is not useful to anyone without manipulation of the data. The IDs need to be replaced and the entries re-collated into their conversations. Perfect world, HR has access to perform the export themselves, and they read/file the data directly, without requiring IT to get involved.
on Jan 18, 2022 at 5:55pm   •  0 likes

@Patrick Lewis Thank you for that insight and feedback. I can see why the export format would be frustrating for you as it was not designed for this use case. Its primary function was one of data archival, not in helping people reconstitute past conversation history into a browsable format.

Such a tool could be constructed, but it would not be trivial to build. I would encourage you to submit this capability to https://ideas.ringcentral.com/. It sound like what you need is the ability or a superuser to view and read any message on the system, and the ability to view deleted or removed users as well. Does that sound right?

on Jan 19, 2022 at 6:27am   •  0 likes

Yes. In the end, we would need to give managerial staff the ability to review messages for current or past employees. I have created the idea at:
https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/CUSTCOM-I-4567

on Jan 17, 2022 at 8:59am   •  0 likes

Same. As a partner, we either have to advise clients to keep users in an active state after the employee leaves, in case messages are needed, or rely on the JSON dump of data. RingCentral should provide a tool to read the archives that they provide, and not rely on their clients to have programmers on staff to do this task.

on Nov 10, 2021 at 8:47am   •  0 likes

We would find this very useful as well. Navigating these JSON files can be challenging in larger environments.

on Feb 8, 2021 at 11:49am   •  0 likes

This would be helpful for our team to review Glip exports more easily.

1 Answer
answered on Jan 18, 2022 at 10:38am  

Have you been able to review the Support Article? It has some links to tools that will convert the JSON to CSV for easier consumption, review and search of the message records.

on Oct 20, 2022 at 3:56pm   •  0 likes

I'm working on developing this. Will share once completed and approved by RC.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 3:40pm   •  2 likes

What RC needs to have is an external tool available to read/parse/sort/search - all of the archive files that get generated from an 'Archive' dump.

AND - it needs to be in a readable form that is Manager proof. By this I mean any ID10T IT manager can see the GUI and figure it out - so as to train their other staff.

I get request from department managers to see chats/calls between staff or clients - and right now the only way is to log in as one of those users - something that should not be!

The utility needs to:

- Read the archive files.
- Parse out and sort to a temp file to then display/be able to search.
- Show ALL fields, and allow for a custom number of fields to be shown - including shifting/sort order.
- Allow for the print/export of just THAT text, and not the JSON data - so that a human readable page/print can be created for HR, records, etc.

I'd be happy to Beta this... :)

on Jan 19, 2022 at 5:47am   •  1 likes

This was stated excellently. We need a way to be able to empower employees with administrative need and lacking IT knowledge, to use the export created by RingCentral. Whether this is a different export tool, a secondary tool that the export is run through, or a change to the current export: the data provided to or exported by managerial staff should be readable by those with little to no IT knowledge.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 12:49pm   •  1 likes

This is not an answer to the question. These tools convert the files from JSON to CSV. While a CSV can be opened in Excel to order the conversations by column, it does not change the fact that we are forced to go from file to file, to reference IDs for the conversation and creator. Given this is the method RingCentral has chosen to perform their exports, RingCentral should be able to provide an application (without placing potentially sensitive data on the web) that allows for the reading of data by non-IT personnel. An HR manager is the target audience for this data, not a code monkey.

on Jan 18, 2022 at 1:08pm   •  0 likes

Patrick,

Your request is different. The original request was a tool to view and search the file. Sounds like you are looking for something easier to manage archives of people that leave the company and are disabled from the messaging in teams (glip) for compliance. But you don't want to export to files or manage files. I think answering Byrne's question will help clarify what you are looking for.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us