News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Ability to Programmatically Edit RingCentral Phone Settings
Tags: settings
Dec 14, 2020 at 12:14pm   •   5 replies  •  0 likes
Jeremy Hodge

It would be very useful for developers to have access to the settings within the RingCentral Phone application.

For example, I am working on an external application to open our customer's page in our ERP system and perform some other tasks. I would like to update the Execute command settings within Settings->Calls->Incoming->Launch an external app or a URL on incoming call as part of the installation package so I do not need to have the users enter it manually.

on Dec 15, 2020 at 9:21am   •  0 likes

We only expose platform functionalities via APIs. The feature you mentioned above is the RingCentral softphone feature (local to the app) so it is not possible to interact with via API.

on Dec 15, 2020 at 4:20am   •  0 likes

I only want to be able to control the settings using an external app. Many programs store the settings in a file or registry so that a developer can manage the settings outside of the application. I search for both but was unable to find where the RC settings are stored.

on Dec 15, 2020 at 9:31am   •  0 likes

I am not looking to interact with it via the API. Is there some file or something on the user's local machine that contains the settings for the RingCentral phone app?

on Dec 14, 2020 at 1:49pm   •  0 likes

RC app is a standalone app so its quite difficult to control it from externally or programmatically without manually entering into it. But however, you can always put this idea here for suggesting RC team for future implementation. They can review and consider the idea and can update you back

1 Answer
answered on Dec 15, 2020 at 5:31pm  

Unfortunately, the app does not expose its settings/settings file for modifying that way.

on Dec 16, 2020 at 5:16am   •  0 likes

Can we add this as a feature request? It can be very useful.

on Dec 16, 2020 at 7:13am   •  0 likes

I can discuss this internally. But I am not sure about the popularity of this use case.

on Feb 28, 2022 at 6:29pm   •  2 likes

For admins this is essential. I have over 200 users that I need to deploy the RingCentral app on. We either need a way to deploy a pre-configured install file, or the ability to run a script post install that will modify things, such as the default sound devices.

I installed 48 users in my last batch and the process of editing microphone and speaker source to the default communications device and the ringer to the default device has become mundane. One way we have handled tasks like this in the past is to push the app to the entire organization and follow it with a remote PowerShell to edit an .xml file, just for example.

on Nov 16, 2023 at 7:22am   •  0 likes

We also have this same issue - did you ever manage to find a way of applying these settings?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us