question

Nick R avatar image
Nick R asked Nick R answered

Sending faxes using different outbound numbers...

Hi!

I need to send faxes programmatically (ie using the API) with a different caller Id depending on which of my employer's subsidiary the fax is sent for.

I looked at all the parameters offered in the API call and none of them apparently let's me do that.

How am I supposed to send a fax with a different caller Id? Do I need to change credentials depending on which caller Id number I want to use?

Do I need to change the client id and secret to or only the username and password?

Changing them on a per fax basis does not feel quite scalable so there has to be another way...

Thank you and have a nice day,

Nick

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Hi Nick,

The only way to send faxes with different caller id or even fax number is to authenticate the app with different users/extensions, provided that the users/extensions were set with different caller id and fax number from the account admin portal.

You don't need to change the client id and client secret. Just the user's login credentials.

Let's say you have 2 extensions 1001 and 1002. Login the account admin site at https://service.ringcentral.com and select the user and click the Outbound Calls/Faxes tab. Set the Phone Number and the Fax Number accordingly,

Do the settings for both extensions 1001 and 1002.

When you login your app with user 1001 login credentials to send a fax, the Phone Number of 1001 extension will be the caller id and the Fax Number will be the from number.

Hope this helps!

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Nick R avatar image
Nick R answered

Hi Phong,

Thank you...

This is what I expected (one client Id, many usernames) but our telephony guy here thought otherwise.

I believed he based that assumption on the Sandbox account, can it only have one username per client Id?

If that's the case then it means we will only be able to test this once we go into Production which we should be able to go into soon. For reasons shared in private email I was not able to work much on this in the past few weeks.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Nick

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys