question

John DeBoer avatar image
John DeBoer asked John DeBoer edited

RingOut API from SoftPhone never rings softphone but status says 'In Progress'

Using the API, I'm able to connect from any one phone number to any other phone number as long as they are both outside of my RingCentral account. When I try to use my RingCentral DID it never rings. The status indicates that the call is 'In Progress' and I don't see any error messages. I also tried dialing from company number + extension (like +18001234567*102) and I've tried using the forwardingNumberId, found by grabbing the Id from /account/~/extension/~/forwarding-number. It just acts like it's dialing but never dials.

RestClient rc = new RestClient("My Client Id", "My Client Secret", false);

await rc.Authorize("My Account #", "My Extension", "My Password");

var parameters = new MakeRingOutRequest();

parameters.from = new MakeRingOutCallerInfoRequestFrom { phoneNumber = "15551234567" };

//parameters.from = new MakeRingOutCallerInfoRequestFrom { forwardingNumberId = "My Forwarding Id " };

parameters.to = new MakeRingOutCallerInfoRequestTo { phoneNumber = "18005552900" };

parameters.playPrompt = false;

var resp = await rc.Restapi().Account().Extension().RingOut().Post(parameters);

Console.WriteLine("Call Placed. Call status: " + resp.status.callStatus);

rest apiringout
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

So none of the caller's phone and callee's phone ring at all? Can you also do a quick test to make a normal call from your mobile to your RingCentral phone, e.g. dial +18001234567*102 from any phone to see if the 102 phone rings.

Let me know.

0 Likes 0 ·
John DeBoer avatar image John DeBoer Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, if I dial from my cell to my RC number it works. I've done that via the DID number and by dialing the main number and selecting the extension. Doing the same thing via code literally does nothing. I feel like these calls are going but the second leg never happens because nobody picks up on the first leg. I'm basing that off the fact that there's no error and a positive status message.

0 Likes 0 ·
John DeBoer avatar image John DeBoer Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

OK, I may be gaining on this issue. I went to the admin portal and looked at the call logs. I see the call attempts. The Action column shows "Ring Out Web" and the Result column shows "IP Phone Offline". Does that mean something to you? I can make some guesses... it seems like it wants to connect to a physical phone, but I'm not sure.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ John DeBoer commented ·

I guess that you login that extension on a soft-phone, right? It is weird that you still can get the phone ringing when you dial from your cell number to the RC number. Can you log in your service web (https://service.ringcentral.com) and open the extension (user), click the Phones & Numbers option, select Phones tab and click edit on the phone you see on the list. Now, click the "Deauthorize this Computer" button. Close the soft-phone app and reopen it and login again then try.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

0 Answers

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys