question

philips7591 avatar image
philips7591 asked philips7591 commented

Incoming phone calls are not creating tickets in Zendesk

We've been working with RingCentral for a little over 3 months. RingCentral has never created a new Zendesk ticket when an incoming call is received. I've gone through every article on Zendesk and RingCentral that I can find, with no result. Has anyone else had this issue? How do I solve?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered bjsvec commented
I haven't played with this for a while because it turned out to not be as useful as I hoped.  We don't have good records of phone numbers as much as email addresses here and many callers have multiple, different numbers they call us from.  Anyhow, I recall it was important to format the phone numbers in Zendesk correctly.  I'll test again and see if I can give you more specifics, but try things like 5105551212 or +15105551212, etc.
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
I just tested and it works for me as long as the phone number for the user in Zendesk is entered as 15105551212 format.  It auto opens a new ticket, creates a private note with time stamp and a new private note window also.
0 Likes 0 ·
philips7591 avatar image
philips7591 answered philips7591 commented
Brandon, 

Thank you for your response, it's really helpful. What do we do if it is a new customer with no phone number in the system?
5 comments
1 |3000

I just tested that too and it opens a new ticket with no other info than a phone number form the caller ID.  You would have to add the details like name, email, and organization as needed, I guess.  Then next time it should pop the correct customer and organization if they call from the same number again.
0 Likes 0 ·
philips7591 avatar image philips7591 commented ·
Unfortunately, that's not working for us. When we answer a call in Zendesk on the RingCentral widget, the call is moved to our RingCentral Mac desktop and no ticket is created. So frustrating! Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Hmm. I was answering my test calls on my desk phone, but also have the Mac desktop app running.  I actually didn't know you could answer in the widget.  I will try that and see if anything different happens.  Have you tried answering via the desktop app first instead of the Zendesk widget?
0 Likes 0 ·
Weird.  I can't see any way to answer with the widget.  the ticket only gets created or popped after I answer the call on my desk phone or desktop app.

Are you using the voice integration ZD has?  Mabe that is interfering?
0 Likes 0 ·
philips7591 avatar image philips7591 commented ·
Not using any voice integration from Zendesk. Even when we answer from our RingCentral from the Mac Desktop, tickets aren't created. Not sure why I would consider continuing to pay for the service if one of their product promises doesn't work for us. 
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys