question

bruce-buttles2157 avatar image
bruce-buttles2157 asked Anirban edited

SMS API for sending text to customers

I am new to the RingCentral developer API so forgive me if this is too basic.

I want to use the RingCentral API to sent out-bound SMS to my customers. Rather than use (and pay for) a 3rd party like Twilio, I am already a RingCentral customer.

In the docs, the examples are all of sending text messages within my company via RingCentral.

BUT, I need to send TXT from my company number to my customers.

Can I use the RingCentral API web service to sent SMS to customers - or - am I limited to only inside my company?

Thanks!

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brimestone1479 avatar image
brimestone1479 answered
I've already done this and it works fine. My application was to send an SMS to employee's personal number when there is an active Evacuation/Alarm. At the time, i have to time it to 1 SMS per second or the system will reject the task - This might have been fix, but not sure.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bruce-buttles2157 avatar image
bruce-buttles2157 answered
Awesome, thanks for the fast reply ... yes, I noticed in the docs that RingCentral lets you send 30 SMS/minute ... so about 1 every other second or there about.

So, you just used the REST/JSON API to send the SMS?

Also, what about in-bound SMS from customers - anyone do that?
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
You can easily use Subscriptions or Webhooks with Push Notifications to monitor inbound SMS. In fact, there is an " Instant Filter" type of 'SMS' which can be used so you can create an event consumer which only handles inbound (or outbound) SMS.
1 |3000

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered Anirban edited

Yes, very much possible... you can send messages to your customers as well and you can monitor those messages using API providing message id & attachment id as well as using subscription

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys