question

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman asked don-klayman answered

Softphone texts but won't call out with message about Call/Caller/Callee Status in progress

I have a sandbox where I can text out and receive calls but I can't place calls. This has nothing to do with code as I'm just trying to use the sandbox. I also have a production account also, but with the config.ini I'm able to login to the sandbox and text and receive call but not place them. When using the softphone it prompts me for "MyLocation" and "Customer Number" before I can call. After I call is shows in the sandbox window

Call Status: In Progress

Caller Status: In Progress

Callee Status: In Progress

After 20-30 seconds it goes back to the number pad. Below are the images.

developer sandbox
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman answered
I found if I put in my production phone number in for the custom number it will make the two legged call.  But I need to test my softphone, I'm thinking I need a DID in my sandbox to fully test this.  How do I get that for development as the portal isn't allowing it?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
Have you added a phone to the extension in the Sandbox Online Account Portal ( https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com)?

Either that, or use the same number you use to login for "Custom Number".
1 |3000

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman answered
I do have the normal default 101 extension for the sandbox.  The issue seems to be that RingOut doesn't want to work with the normal E164 format including the extension.   The softphone settings don't a have a direct dial setup.  I'm thinking to RingOut to the SoftPhone you must have a DID giving a DirectDial option, at least that's what it seems to be.

1 |3000

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman answered
I do have the normal default 101 extension for the sandbox.  The issue seems to be that RingOut doesn't want to work with the normal E164 format including the extension.   The softphone settings don't a have a direct dial setup.  I'm thinking to RingOut to the SoftPhone you must have a DID giving a DirectDial option, at least that's what it seems to be.

1 |3000

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman answered
I can't resolve this because I can't add a phone number to my user.  When selecting a phone# it always says there are no number available in selected area (see below) no matter what city or area code I use.

1 |3000

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman answered
I can't resolve this because I can't add a phone number to my user.  When selecting a phone# it always says there are no number available in selected area (see below) no matter what city or area code I use.  So I chose Los Angelas and it worked.

1 |3000

benjamin-dean answered
I've just tested this and also was unable to get a RingOut to execute from the SoftPhone on Mac, and additionally have began probing internally to our Engineering team to determine if this feature is disabled in Softphone by default in the Sandbox. In the meantime...

You can use the RingOut API to execute a call which appropriately connected to the SoftPhone (when used as the from.phoneNumber property value) to an external device.
1 |3000

benjamin-dean answered

Okay, I've just learned the solution for this is you must use a Direct Number for the authenticated user to execute outbound calls from the Softphone in Sandbox Mode. Here's how to set that up in a nutshell:

1. Login to the Sandbox Online Account Portal: https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com

2. Select Users from the navigation on the left (blue box which contains count of users in account)

3. Choose the user from the list displayed

4. In the User's context menu which displays to the right, choose "Phones and Numbers"

5. Click on "Add Direct Number"

6. From the phone number selection menu displayed, select the state which correlates to one of the following area codes: 616, 916, 413, 424, 626,323, 518, 607, 904 (FYI: This list may change, if you do not see any numbers available in these area codes, please contact the developer support team and create a support ticket for a list of area codes with active numbers)

7. Choose a number, and continue through the dialogue to purchase your new direct number.

8. When creating an outbound call from the Softphone in Sandbox mode, you must set the "Custom Number" === this new Direct Number

Let me know if this works for you. If you do not wish to purchase a new Direct Number, you will be required to use the API to execute RingOut outbound in the Sandbox.

1 |3000

don-klayman avatar image
don-klayman answered
Yes, as I pointed out I chose an area code in LA and was able to finish and fully test my app.  The instructions above are good as you must add a phone number to use direct dial otherwise it asks for a custom number which there is no provision in the API for that.  So bottom line is you must have a DID number to test RingOut from the desktop (softphone) app.  Thanks.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys