question

janielle2936 avatar image
janielle2936 asked benjamin-dean answered

The mentioned permission "VoIP Calling" in "Configuring your RingCentral app" does not exists for WebPhone

Original: https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone/issues/85

As my colleague and I are trying to explore how to work with the Web Phone, we stuck while configuring the RingCentral app for Web Phone according to the README file.

The issue is that when we try to set up a new browser-based app, there is no permission VoIP Calling. Should I use different permissions?

Today, I found a Youtube video released by Benjamin Dean regarding to the setup. At 14:03 of the video, the demo app in the video clearly have the permission VoIP Calling. However, when I set up the application, the permission VoIP Calling doesn't seem to exist as you can see from the screenshots on GitHub.

Please advise how I should set up an application with VoIP Calling. Also, is it possible to have a Server/Web application to do VoIP Calling?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
I've added this API permission to both of your applications defined in Developer Portal which had "Web Phone" in the title.

Currently, to obtain this API Permission we require developers to create a developer support case, but since you posted here and I was able to look you up, I went ahead and took care of this for you.

You only needed this for those two applications, correct?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

janielle2936 answered
Thank you very much for very quick follow up.

As I mentioned earlier, as our application "Statflo Business Connect" are required to do both RingOut and WebPhone, is it possible to have a Server/Web application to do  VoIP Calling?

1 |3000

benjamin-dean answered
No, we only support Browser-based applications for use with the WebPhone at this time.
1 |3000

janielle2936 answered
I see. Thank you so much for your help. :D

By the way, I think it would be beneficial to other developers to see in the related documentation that they need to create a developer support case to get VoIP Calling permission.
1 |3000

janielle2936 answered John Wang Deactivated commented
Sorry to bother you again.

We are wondering if we can use a Browser-based application for both RingOut and WebPhone. The issue we want to avoid is having to require our users to authenticate with RingCentral twice within the same app - the effect of that will be confusion and potential loss of trust in the tool. Can you please advise on how we should proceed towards the goal of having ringout and browser-based calling in our app without undue user experience impact?
1 comment
1 |3000

John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
It's easy to create a web app that supports both RingOut and WebPhone.

Regarding authentication / authorization, just have the use authorize one instance of the RingCentral JavaScript SDK and then use that instance when instantiating the RingCentral WebRTC SDK.

Regarding user interface, check out the RingCentral for Google integration:

This is also covered on the RingCentral WebRTC FAQ.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have an app with both permissions. 

1 |3000

janielle2936 answered
No matter what app type we try to use we only get the following options for permissions:

1 |3000

janielle2936 answered
Is it possible for you to switch our app to a Browser calling app and allowing Direct Ring Out, Interoperability, Number Lookup, Read Accounts, Read Call Log, Read Client Info and Voip Calling?
1 |3000

janielle2936 answered
Thank you very much for the response. I have a few questions/requests/issues.

Just a few days ago, our Server/Web application "Statflo Business Connect" has been approved for production use and is currently being tested for the launch this weekend. However, as we set to release the product with a RingCentral application that can make both RingOut and WebPhone call by the end of this week, the review process for a new application, which supports both features, will delay us from launching the product.

So, is it possible for you to change our application to a "Browser-based" application and having the API permission Direct Ring Out, Interoperability, Number Lookup, Read Accounts, Read Call Log, Read Client Info and Voip Calling?

Also, while we are trying to use with WebPhone Demo app, I keep getting the following error despite the fact that the API keys are for a private browser-based app with VoIP Calling and the sandbox credential works fine for RingOut call. What could be an issue? Is there a simpler way to test an Oauth implementation with the WebPhone demo?

1 |3000

benjamin-dean answered
If you have created the new applications, defined them in the manner you desire, and have executed the requirements to "Apply for Production", we will review the application the following morning. Is that not sufficient (because this is our current best practice for developers to make changes to applications once they've been approved for production access)?
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys