question

allivet-smith1899 avatar image
allivet-smith1899 asked John Wang Deactivated commented

How can I send a pdf to a development account?

Hi Please how can I send a pdf to a development account, should I use the same domain @rcfax.com? I need to test my code to convert the received bytes array and convert it in pdf. Im trying to send a testing fax from https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com/ but looks like is not attaching anything and I when I convert the pdf, the file is empty. THank you Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: How do I send a fax, from email, to a fax line which is an extension and requires....

fax
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

allivet-smith1899 answered kim commented
Sorry, I was meaning Sandbox. In order to test my code, I would like to email a pdf file to our sandbox fax 15102704626 extension 101. So please what is the email address I should use: 15102704626*101@rcfax.com?
7 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mike avatar image mike commented ·
Thanks for the clarification.  When you send a fax via email, it can only go to the 10 digit number (no extensions).  Have you tried to send it without the extension?    If you need the fax to go to another user in the account, that person will need to have their own DL to send to. 

Mike 
1 Like 1 ·
kim avatar image kim commented ·
Allivet - You will need to fax the phone number that is directly associated to that extension 
0 Likes 0 ·
allivet-smith1899 avatar image allivet-smith1899 commented ·
Could you please, provide more info about how to do that? I have tried using the fax button (attaching screenshot) however the fax keeps in the outbox and never comes to the inbox, that's why I have being testing my code, with the outbox messages only, but I need to test also the inbox messages.
I was guessing there was an easier way to send/email a pdf to the sandbox fax by using FAXNUMBER *EXTENSION@rcfax.com?
0 Likes 0 ·
This is the sandbox fax number RingCenter automatically assigned to our test/sandbox account (510) 270-4626, so it should work using 5102704626@rcfax.com?

I have tried all the combinations, including the one above, but none of the pdf I am sending from my email are coming to the fax inbox, so I was guessing that sandbox instance you were using a domain different than @ rcfax.com?

15102704626*101@rcfax.com
5102704626*101@rcfax.com
15102704626@rcfax.com
5102704626@rcfax.com

0 Likes 0 ·
kim avatar image kim commented ·
Faxing is available, but limited with the Sandbox account. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
It appears that you are trying to use the email -> fax feature of RingCentral and trying to send to a Sandbox number.

I just tested the above scenario and was able to receive an inbound fax with an attachment as expected.

Here is how I was able to do that:

1. Login to https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com as an admin for your sandbox account
  2. Make sure you have created a new user/extension and assigned them a Voice & Fax type direct number
  3. You should now be able to send faxes to the following two phoneNumbers/extensions/users in your Sandbox account:
    - Your main company number can receive faxes in the Sandbox: <sandboxMainCompanyNumber>@rcfax.com
    - Your newly created user/extension can receive faxes in the Sandbox: <userPhoneNumber>@devtest.rcfax.com

* NOTE: Sending to user extensions in the Sandbox, the domain is different @devtest.rcfax.com
  4. Send your email
  5. Go check your user's call logs and you should see faxes that have been sent.
1 |3000

allivet-smith1899 answered
Thank you very much, but I still can not receive anything, I am guessing the <sandboxMainCompanyNumber>@ rcfax.com is the extension 101 that was automatically created by your system. So I created a sencond extension 102, both have the same number your system assigned 15102704626. So I tried to send from the new extension 102 to 101 and viceversa and nothing happens. I have tried using the fax options from https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com and also sending from my personal email to 5102704626@devtest.rcfax.com, 5102704626*101@devtest.rcfax.com5102704626*102@devtest.rcfax.com. But nothing comes yet to the inbox. Attaching 3 images in the same screenshot,

1 |3000

John Wang avatar image
John Wang Deactivated answered
I need to test my code to convert the received bytes array and convert it in pdf.

Can you provide more information on what you're trying to do? Which byte array are you trying to convert? RingCentral will automatically convert and provide faxes in PDF so you don't need to do any conversion.

If you want to send a PDF to a development account, you can also just use the REST API to fax a file to the sandbox number which is what I use for testing. For example:

1 |3000

allivet-smith1899 answered John Wang Deactivated commented
About the pdf I already noticed and was able to download one BUT FROM THE OUTBOX, since I still can not receive any Fax in the SANDBOX INBOX.

Is there a simple way that I could receive a fax in the inbox?  I was guessing I was just needing to send an email (attaching a pdf) to the email address below, where 5102704626 is the sandbox fax number:
5102704626@devtest.rcfax.com

7 comments
1 |3000

John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
I've just successfully sent a fax to (and received a fax in) a sandbox inbox using the REST API so that may be an option for you.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you for the info, following the developer manual Im trying to send a fax attaching a txt, using Advanced REST client, however I am getting an error, attaching screenshot. Just in case do you have a sample using c#?
0 Likes 0 ·
Finally I got to send an attachment using REST API, however the messages keep in the outbox saying Failed. But the inbox remains empty.
0 Likes 0 ·
John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
Here is a fax example using the REST API in C# using version 1.0.0-alpha2 of the C# SDK available on Nuget and GitHub. This demo uses a custom cover page which you can just ignore.

https://github.com/grokify/ringcentral-demos-fax-cover-page/blob/master/csharp/csharp/Program.cs

For the failed faxes, can you make a call to the call-log API for the faxes to retrieve and post the failure reason?
0 Likes 0 ·
I am trying to call the call-log API, however it is returning 403 forbidden the manual says: "If a user (without admin rights) tries to access the account call log, the 403 Forbidden error is returned"

Please, now the question is how can I set admin rights to the only account we have

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys