News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Unable to add .vcf / vcard files to RC contacts
Tags: contacts
May 10, 2019 at 1:14pm   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
Matt Snowden
When I receive a .vcf or vcard file (i.e. someone shares a contact record from their cell phone) via an inbound text message to my RingCentral number, I can't open the file or directly add that contact, without going to a desktop and opening via another software.

For example, with my iphone, if someone sent me a text with a person's contact record (as a .vcf file), I could open the contact record right from the text message application and add the newly received contact record directly to my iphone contacts.

Now, when someone sends that exact same message to me via my RingCentral number, I can't open the file on my phone, can't add it to my RingCentral contacts, or do anything else useful with it until I log into RingCentral.com, download the file to my computer, then open via 3rd party application and manually type it into my contact list on RingCentral.

That seems like a major step backward in technology! Am I missing something here? If not, where is the solution on the roadmap? 
on Feb 23, 2021 at 9:10am   •  0 likes

As someone who keeps their contacts in MacOS's Address Book. Not being able to import vCards leaves me to input contacts manually.

on Mar 16, 2020 at 11:17am   •  0 likes
Would love this feature as well.  If we could import vcards it would make our text message and voicemail message alerts so much easier.  Right now we have to do a massive search in order to figure out who the message is from and who it goes to.
on May 15, 2019 at 10:24am   •  0 likes
How is this a good thing that helps us run better businesses on RC/Glip? Is it on the roadmap for being added?
3 Answers
answered on Aug 16, 2022 at 8:06pm  

Here we are over 2 years later and RingCentral still hasn't added the ability to import Vcards! WTF? What makes RingCentral think I want Google or Microsoft managing my contacts for my RingCentral? C'mon RingCentral! Is this really a big ask? It's 2022!

answered on Mar 18, 2020 at 3:12pm  
Hi Talanton, Kat - 

We are considering this as we speak. Thanks for your feedback. We will be launching contacts integration with O365 / Google in July of 2020, that might help alleviate your situation, i know it's not the best with the Vcards but it's something else to use your contacts with Glip.

Hope this helps! 

answered on May 15, 2019 at 9:54am  
Hi Talanton_Insurance, 

I reached out to a Glip Engineer, and they advised 
The RC App does not have any extra contact database, so you would not have a place to import the vcard. The RC Phone app technically has a place for contacts but also does not support vcard importation.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us