News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Exporting/Decoding Call Audio With Wireshark
Tags: integrations
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:04am   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
tscott
I'm trying to use Wireshark to diagnose VoIP quality. I can see the SIP calls just fine but cannot get it to play back the call audio. Does anyone know if it's possible to play the audio from a RingCentral call? It appears to be using the Opus codec and I see no indication that the calls are encrypted but maybe I'm overlooking something.
6 Answers
answered on Jul 8, 2019 at 10:18am  
In Wireshark, try Telephony > RTP > RTP Streams. Click on one of the found streams and click Analyze. Once the analysis is complete, click Play Streams.

Note that a single phone call will have two streams; one incoming and one outgoing. You will need to highlight both streams before clicking Analyze if you want to play back both sides of the conversation. The only way I know to find the pair of streams is to look at the source and destination addresses and find the two that are similar in size (based on packet count).

answered on Jul 8, 2019 at 10:10am  
I just verified this, the check box for HD calling is NOT checked. I was unable to view the call in wireshark. Do I need to disable encryption or something for this to work?

thanks,
Brett

answered on Jul 8, 2019 at 8:02am  
Actually, I just now found some relevant info and was able to decode audio in Wireshark. According to RingCentral if HD Voice is enabled on the phone it will encode audio with the OPUS codec. If HD Voice is turned off, it will encode with G.722 codec. G.722 can be natively decoded in Wireshark! Check your RingCentral account settings online and go to Phones & Numbers > Phones > Edit (next to the phone in question) and uncheck "Use HD Voice if possible".

answered on Jul 8, 2019 at 7:11am  
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the cert to be able to decode the streams?

answered on Feb 14, 2019 at 10:39am  
I have used Wireshark for the same purpose. Once you save the capture and open it, go to telephony on the menu bar and select VOIP calls. You should see the calls from the capture populate there. Then you can select one and Play Streams. You should be able to hear them. I can on mine. 

answered on Feb 14, 2019 at 9:30am  

Id expect the call to be encrypted. I dont know for sure tho. I did find this KB article that seems to support that. https://support.ringcentral.com/article/7987.html

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us