News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
"Press 1 to be connected" option in IVR a viable way to filter out robo callers?
Tags: ivr
Dec 15, 2018 at 8:44pm   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
chantry

Are robo dialers capable of pressing keys to advance through IVR menus, and if so, do they tend to follow any specific strategy (e.g., spamming #)? Here are two pages I found on the subject:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28715445-How-I-stop-telespammers-dead-with-voip-ms-IVR

https://robocall.devpost.com/submissions/11020-hi-it-s-me-ivr

I tried to set something up like this, but I am running into two problems:

1. My main number does not allow routing to my IVR menu, only to the auto-receptionist. My second and third number can be routed to my IVR menu.
  2. My business partners and I take shifts answering the phone. It would be a pain to go into the IVR menu settings every time I need to change the extension over to someone else. Is there a way I can funnel the IVR into somewhere where the destination extension can be changed very quickly?

Thanks.

4 Answers
answered on Oct 31, 2019 at 4:09pm  
This is very frustrating that there is no real solution available. This is additional costs and loss of revenue when real clients are trying to reach you. I'm tired of blocking calls we have over 900 of these calls within the last 2 days. Exploring other service providers if RingCentral does not immediately address this issue. 

answered on Oct 21, 2019 at 6:27am  
Brandon - that's exactly what is happening to us. These robocalls are not selecting an extension and are disconnected at the end of our greeting, however, they are using up 1:44 of our RingCentral credits every time they call. Because of this, RingCentral is charging us ever few days for additional call credits. I'm becoming suspicious that these robocalls are simply a revenue generator for RingCentral.

answered on Dec 19, 2018 at 9:35am  
Yes, some robo dialers may use DTMF tones to navigate an IVR, but I think in most cases they would do that to stay in the IVR and use up toll free minutes for a traffic pumping scam.  See here for more about that particular scam: http://www.awardconsulting.net/traffic-pumping-case-of-the-phantom-caller/

answered on Dec 18, 2018 at 10:27am  
Hey CHANTRY,

Do you have a Single or Multi-Level IVR?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us