News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Airpods instead of headphones
Tags: hardware
Jul 25, 2018 at 5:45pm   •   14 replies  •  1 likes
kavanaugh

I would like to find out how to use my Airpods instead of headphones when making calls. I am not able to hear anything.

on Feb 1, 2019 at 7:04am   •  1 likes
I have SUPER news!  My airpods ARE working with RingCentral on my desktop!!! YAY!
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:46pm   •  0 likes
Hey KAVANAUGH,

Unfortunately I don't have any Airpods to test with. I've seen RC employees use them in the office and have heard of customers using them just fine but I'm not sure if they had to do anything specific to get them to work.

Have you verified that the Airpods have synced with your device?
on Jan 22, 2019 at 8:06am   •  1 likes
Yet another odd RingCentral limitation equating to frustration here....Please keep us posted as you work to support AIrpod compatibility.. 
on Nov 12, 2018 at 8:04am   •  1 likes
2287 USA based users, 28 different sites, 3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones 2018-11-12 Bluetooth headset connectivity is a long standing issue with the Desktop and Mobile apps. We are tracking it here and added the airpods recently to our list. http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/headsets.html
on Oct 17, 2018 at 2:33pm   •  0 likes
I am wondering if the fake airpods that can be used with android phones would work.  I thought about that today.  I can find them on amazon and wondering if they would work.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I just don't want to wear a headset and the one I have has a wire.  I don't want to invest in a wireless headset if I don't have to.
on Jan 14, 2019 at 7:42am   •  1 likes
2287 USA based users, 28 different sites, 3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones 

2019-01-14 Still not working with RingCentral Desktop.  You can try going to your Windows Sound Control Panel in Settings and see if you can force the Airpods to be the default output and input device. We were not able to get it to work with the Android version of airpods.

We are tracking the issue of RingCentral Windows Desktop and Mobile App bluetooth connectivity with other brands of earphones here. Stay tuned. RingCentral is working on it.  We would love an official update if possible. 

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/headsets.html 
on Oct 17, 2018 at 2:22pm   •  1 likes
Hi! I have a user in my company that wants to do the same thing (use his AirPods with the RC Phone app on his desktop.) He can use them ok with the mobile app, but does not get any audio when he tries to use them with the desktop client. Has anyone figured out a way to get this to work?
on Jul 27, 2018 at 2:27pm   •  1 likes
Hello,

When making a call using the mobile app, it should allow you to select your audio source while on your phone call. I use a bluetooth headset with my mobile app, and once I make the call if I don't already have it selected, I am able to change the audio source from there. 

Let me know if you have any questions finding this selection.

Thanks,
Sam
on Oct 11, 2021 at 5:50am   •  0 likes

Tagging in on this question - I don't see any update for over one year. Has the AirPods Pro been enabled for RingCentral meetings on a MS Surface?

on Oct 12, 2021 at 1:45pm   •  1 likes

Yes, in my experience. I use my airpods (gen 2) to make calls on RC with iPhone, Macbook, and a Dell running Windows 10. The Dell is certainly flakier, and I have to keep going into RC app settings and changing the audio sources back since the "default" is my crappy built-in mic and speaker, but as long as the audio settings are correct they work like any other bluetooth headset. Are you sure you have the correct settings under the RC App settings -> Notifications and Sounds -> Audio Sources?

on Oct 13, 2021 at 9:52am   •  0 likes

Thanks for sharing this, @ken-winfield - does this help at all, @Janet Abbott?

on Oct 13, 2021 at 10:53am   •  0 likes

I did confirm my RC audio settings, but still no audio during a RC meeting. Even with the audio selection on the mute button identifying the AirPod Pro...still no audio. Has anyone reached out to Apple for feedback?

on Oct 11, 2021 at 10:50am   •  0 likes

Janet, have you tested this and run into issues?

on Oct 11, 2021 at 11:09am   •  0 likes

Yes, my AirPods are paired and working with my MS Surface. When I go into RngCentral application the airpods show as option, but when I do a test on audio the sound does not come through. The microphone does seem to work when I speak, but again does not come through audio.

on Mar 15, 2022 at 4:40pm   •  0 likes

@Janet Abbott or anyone else who replied in this topic, did you ever get this working ? @Becky-Community_Manager - has anyone from from ring central ever tested this to see if it does work please ?

on Mar 16, 2022 at 8:37am   •  2 likes

Since I replied last year, I did have the opportunity to test Airpods with a MS Surface.

On both my M1 Mac Mini, and my old Intel Macbook, the airpods work flawlessly; I can swap between external mic/speakers and airpods just by taking them out/back in my ears, and RC dynamically changes audio sources with the OS since it's set to use my Mac's default audio in/out.

On the Surface, things were a little more complicated; this is a Microsoft problem, NOT a RingCentral problem. Basically, it appears Windows doesn't like sharing its Bluetooth devices with other hosts like iPhones or Macs, and they can end up fighting over the Airpods. Because of this, I have stopped using my Airpods with the Surface, and instead purchased a dedicated set of high quality W10-compatible wireless earbuds.

• First, it is vital that you reset the Airpods to factory settings, ensuring they are totally forgotten by any other devices they are paired with. Apple has instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209463
  • Next, follow the paring procedures to pair your Airpods with your W10/W11 device (Airpods are not supported below W10, and your W10 must be up to date, they only pushed the correct drivers in late 2020). Google can point you to some good resources here.
  • Next, you must tell Windows that the Airpods are your primary input/output.
  • Now, if RC is set to use system defaults, and W10 is properly sensing the Airpods are out of the case and in your ear, you should be able to use them for RC.
on Oct 11, 2021 at 12:27pm   •  0 likes

I might recommend troubleshooting with Support if you haven't already. They might have some tips or tricks that would be helpful.

on Mar 11, 2019 at 4:43pm   •  0 likes
I am having the exact same issue with my samsung galaxy buds.  I purchased them thinking this would work.  Any tips?
on Nov 12, 2018 at 2:52am   •  1 likes
Hi I seem to be having the opposite problem.  I cannot get airpods to be the audio device when making or receiving a call from an Android when using ringcentral app (but the native calling app works fine).  Is a MotoG4 running Android 7.  No options to select audio device are present during call, only prior to calling a contact (for clarification - if I select Ring Central as app to use it does not come through the airpods.  If I select 'phone' native app it 'does' come through the airpods)
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:18pm   •  0 likes
I can use them with my phone app but not with my desktop.  They are synced with my computer, and I use them as headphones on my computer.  I just can't get them to work with ringcentral when I have an incoming call or trying to make a call using the desktop.  I can't hear the call.   I like to use the desktop, because I also use ringcentral for google.  This is such a great add on and very convenient as I work on my computer.     
on Jan 14, 2019 at 7:33am   •  0 likes
Any update on this issue? I am trying to use Airpods for calls on the desktop app, but even though they are recognized, and selected as the microphone and speaker, they do not work. When testing, the caller could hear me, but I received no sound on my end. This would be extremely helpful as I do not only want to use the mobile app, which works fine with the Airpods. Please let me know.
on Apr 29, 2019 at 2:21pm   •  -1 likes
Did you figure out what the difference was? My AirPods are connected to my Windows 10 laptop, and the mic is working, and the RIngCentral settings suggest that it is all connected, but I get no sound out of my AirPods.
on Oct 11, 2021 at 12:59pm   •  0 likes

Did you ever figure out the audio problem? I'm have the same issue - AirPods are paired and show up as option, but when I do an audio check....no sound.

on Aug 10, 2020 at 4:00pm   •  0 likes

Adding another voice to this one. Was told by RC support that "my expectations need to be set first" and that "at this time, RC Does not Support Airpods". I could try to disconnect and reconnect them multiple times from my Mac as "sometimes that fixes it".

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us