question

jim-reynolds avatar image
jim-reynolds asked Phong Vu commented

Retrieve full SMS conversation

We use the API to integrate RC features into our web-based SASS custom enterprise application. One use is for SMS: At the profile of any employee, customer, or vendor, we can send an SMS to the contact with a button click. Replies from the contact arrive quickly in the profile on a Messages tab, and we can view an extended conversation.

We see the same conversation in the RC app on our mobile phones. However, if a user replies to the conversation from the phone, that message (which is part of the same conversation) does not appear in our enterprise app, even though any reply from the recipient does appear.

For example, suppose a user in our office initiates an SMS conversation with a remote employee as follows:

1. "Hello." Sent by our office user from our application. This appears as expected in the application's Message tab.
  2. "Hi.What's up?" Reply from the remote employee appears as expected in Messages tab.
  3. "Can you call the office about your schedule?" sent from the application appears as expected.
  4. "OK I will call you in 10 minutes." Appears as expected. All of this also appears in the RC app on a mobile phone.
  5. If our office user then uses the RC mobile app to say "Thank you," this appears in the RC mobile app but does not appear in our web-based application Messages tab.
  6. "No problem. I wanted to talk about the schedule anyway." This remote employee reply will appear in both the Messages tab and the RC mobile phone, so we are clearly all in the same conversation thread.

Can anyone tell me how to get the message described in #5 above to appear in our web-based application's Messages tab?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Hi Jim,

It does not make any difference from which app a SMS message was sent. The conversation id is unique and you should be able to detect full SMS conversation using the id.

Can you share a few lines of code where you implement the feature from your "web-based SASS custom enterprise application"? How you sync and read the conversation so I can help investigate the problem.

Thanks

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

You can write a program to access the message store and read all conversations where each message should have a conversation_Id.

These message IDs are the one helpful in getting the message conversation for that particular SMS messages.

You can receive messages and retrieve them through the RingCentral API. Pls check the reference:
Sending SMS Dev Guide.

1 |3000

brian-kleinfall8967 avatar image
brian-kleinfall8967 answered Phong Vu commented

That DevGuide link now gets a 404 error

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

I just updated the link and it should work now.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys