question

wellhart-it12410 avatar image
wellhart-it12410 asked Tyler Liu commented

Retrieving call log with company employee ID

Hello,

We want to obtain call log data to be used elsewhere. Our call log data for other entities that do not use RingCentral always come with an employee ID. We would like to pass this attribute to Google's G Suite and then to the RingCentral SAML app, mapping employee ID to the RingCentral attribute partnerID. Pulling the call log data should be relatively simple, but the requirement of having employee ID in that data makes it more difficult. Have you seen others pull this off successfully, and if so, can you guide me in the right direction?

Thanks!

call logs
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered Tyler Liu commented
I believe RingCentral extension ID is similar to employee ID. But not exactly the same thing because each employee could have multiple extensions. I am wondering: how do you handle the case that multiple employees share the same phone? Then there is no way to tell which employee it is for from call log.
4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

lee2 avatar image lee2 commented ·
If multiple Employees are going to use the same phone you can set it up as a common phone and they can log in when they need to use it. They would always use the extension assigned to them. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
Hi Lee, that makes sense. I am wondering what could they do if they share the same extension?  Then from the call log we only know the extension, no way to tell which employee created the call log.
0 Likes 0 ·
lee2 avatar image lee2 commented ·

Each person would login with thier own extension and PIN so you should be able to know. I guess the correct term is hot desking. Here is an article https://support.ringcentral.com/article/10658-Hot-Desking-Log-in-or-Log-out-of-a-Common-Phone.html. Looks like it is only available on some phones.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Lee, I know it is possible. But in reality, I often see people in the same office share a single phone, and they don't login at all (Maybe admin user logged in).  I am not an expert on this. So just some random thinkings.  Thank you for sharing with me some useful articles. Appreciate!
0 Likes 0 ·
wellhart-it12410 avatar image
wellhart-it12410 answered Tyler Liu commented
Hi Tyler,

My understanding is that extension ID is only an internal identifier for the extension and cannot be remapped. Is that correct? We have multiple entities and these identifiers must be consistent across them (some employees provide services to more than one company). So for my use case, the value must be designated by us rather than RingCentral.

Passing this value by SAML would be great, since we use SSO into our RingCentral instance and it may help automate the process. I realize this may not be possible however.

Not sure if partnerID will get us what we want either. Upon review of the documentation, the API will only return account and extension IDs (again, I believe are exclusively internal RingCentral identifiers).

Unsure of how to proceed.

Thanks!
1 comment
1 |3000

Yes you are right extension ID is identifier used by RingCentral internally. But it could also be used externally because it is identifier. Different extension has different ID and the same extension aways has the same ID. 

Maybe in your database you can map RingCentral extension ID to customer employee ID?  Then you get extension ID from call log, then look up the mapping for employee ID.  I am not very clear of you requirements, so above is just my assumption. Let me know what you think.
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys