question

kle11495 avatar image
kle11495 asked kle11495 commented

Sending SMS using API gives error code MSG-242 "The requested feature is not available"

Good Afternoon,

My goal is to send an SMS message using the API to a user inside our recently created sandbox environment and I have already added a couple of phone numbers for users. However, when I tried to send an SMS message using the interactive API, I will get the error code MSG-242 "The requested feature is not available".

I have tried this using the sandbox's main number and other phone numbers that I have assigned to users. They are also listed as valid numbers when I call the api for phone numbers ( /restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/phone-number ).

I have also tried to use RingCentral on my Desktop and sending a message in the sandbox environment. This results in "Your extension does not support external text messaging. Please contact your account administrator".

Calling the Get Extension Phone Number List API ( /restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/extension/{extensionId}/phone-number ) shows that every account only has CallerID under the "features" section.

I have also given the SMS permission to the app.

How would I fix this?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered kle11495 commented

Can you provide a request ID (which is returned in "RCRequestId" header in response to your SMS sending call? Or let us know which phone number you are trying to send SMS from?
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anton-nikitin avatar image anton-nikitin commented ·
Well, what I can see is that these numbers are not properly registered with SMS provider at the moment by some reason. I will ask our OPS team to check and fix. Stay tuned.
1 Like 1 ·
kle11495 avatar image kle11495 commented ·
Here is the request ID for an SMS send that I just called, 79d84324-a7eb-11e8-8cad-005056bb26b9.

I used the main company number, which is +14242299543, and then I tried to use a user number, +14242140970.
0 Likes 0 ·
kle11495 avatar image kle11495 commented ·
Thanks for looking into the problem.  Are there any status updates?
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys