News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Problems switching from password flow to JWT flow
Tags: authentication, softphone
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:58pm   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
Byron King

Our users use the RC Phone app (the soft phone). It is installed on each desktop. We have a .NET app that currently uses the password flow to auth:

await restClient.Authorize(Username, Extension, Password);

The app uses CallOut to make calls:

await restClient.Restapi().Account().Telephony().CallOut().Post(makeCallOutRequest);

This method inits the soft phone to make the call. If the user needs to navigate a phone tree, they can use the numpad on the soft phone. We have to switch to JWT flow before March, so I created a new app and a JWT token to auth using JWT. I switched the client ID and client secret from the password flow app to the JWT flow app and can successfully authenticate:

await restClient.Authorize(rcJwtToken);

The problem is that I am no longer able to make calls, as I keep getting "CMN-102", which indicates a "Resource for parameter [deviceId] is not found". The only things I changed are the client secret, client ID, and line to use the JWT token. The exception is thrown at this line:

await restClient.Restapi().Account().Telephony().CallOut().Post(parameters);

How can I get this working? Thanks!

1 Answer
answered on Jan 20, 2024 at 9:00am  

Using password flow or JWT flow authentication will give the same access token scopes and permissions!

You have to make sure that the JWT token was generated by the user who authenticated the RingCentral softphone, and you can always read that user's device to get a list of device ids that belong to the user.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us