News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Wrong gateway ip, stale DNS IP
Tags: ip phone
Dec 3, 2023 at 7:56am   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
CARE QUEST

We have new Polycomm phones from Charter. We had a Charter tech come out because our phones didnt work after they did for a few days. Got a ring tone that is it. Tried in another location. I was needed to be present as IT guy when the Charter tech came out. I joked to him and said all i could do is ping from the phone if it had the option. The Charter line man guy laughed and phoned in to a few admins on advice. Non knew anything about these phones connectivity. Suppose to run out of box once RC is setup apparently. Anyways the tech gave up and told us to contact RC support, which didnt know what do do either. I then poked around the phone's menu and was able to view the TCP parameters and send out a ping to 8.8.8.8 (which failed). I found the gateway IP was wrong, 192.168.1.178, should be .1 The DNS IP was stale too using an recently decommissioned DNS days prior for lookup. I figured there was a release and renew option for the client, but i couldnt find it. I tried to get into the Advanced section hoping it was here but was prompted by an unknown password.

Funny my 10 minutes of poking around exceeded the Charter tech's abilities.

How can i force an updated LAN IP? Power cycling didnt do the trick.

on Dec 4, 2023 at 12:11pm   •  0 likes

If you know your phones IP - can you get to the GUI (back end) via a web browser? Or did they/you try that already?

Depending on the phone, he access code is either going to be 456 - if it's still factory, or 789 if config'd with RC. You can also then factory default it - that should set it back to DHCP.

The RC tech should be able to give you a Provisioning URL - that's what needs to be in the phone, then upon reboot - it should pick up all the settings.

What's the Polycom model?

on Dec 5, 2023 at 8:24am   •  0 likes

Putting back a DNS with previous address solved our issue. The phones must have been assigned a static IP. Not sure why that was necessary. I will try to passwords. Thanks!

on Dec 6, 2023 at 4:14pm   •  0 likes

Better to make reservations in dhcp with the phones mac, rather than static IPs. ye gads.

Good luck.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us