News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
SMS Inbound?
Tags: sms and text messaging
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:37am   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
Frazier Trager

The new TCR rules are ridiculous for a small company using text to only respond to a one-to one customer service request via text message on our company line. Now we cannot even provide fast service to a customer via a text response. This rule should really only apply to more than one number. If it is a one to one reply SMS should not be affected. Grouping the millions of small businesses into the same category of businesses who abuse SMS is awful and seems like it could be bordering on illegal. This new rule is asking for registration fees and quite frankly, we are better off cancelling ringcentral and porting our number to a cell service.

I urge all small business customers to speak up given we are all being forced to pay a fee for a service we do not even use (campaign texting). If you are a single response SMS user please share your thoughts!

on Mar 9, 2023 at 2:23pm   •  0 likes

My comments are global and not just picking on Ringcentral. Question... currently I only get text on our business line by inquiries from customers or someone with our business card. If we register our company is that opening us up to receive texts from trusted businesses that pay to send campaigns? My worry is now we are all registering our businesses in a database that can be sent SMS texts to people who are trusted registrants.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 2:26pm   •  0 likes

I get it!
No, this is supposed to help with unsolicited SPAM texts. My hope is that this will resolve those annoyances.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 2:43pm   •  0 likes

Right spam texts. So stop bulk texting on your platform. Make texting a one to one communication for ringcentral users. That is how sms started. I know many people who hate being added on to group text messages. Even amongst friends. The problem is that this is a money maker for the very businesses that are putting these rules in place. Now they see another revenue stream by registering everyone. Not seeing the benefit as the end user. Unsubscribe, and block solves the receiving problem. Stop the bulk sending. It's an easy solution but they don't want a solution the impacts data rates and bulk campaign fees currently being collected.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 1:34pm   •  0 likes

Those carriers should be dealing with the real issue of abuse instead of benefiting from new fees to small business registrations, when it still isn't addressing bulk texting. I think most people would be fine with a rule to stop bulk texting. Lat the new rule be SMS only allows one to one texting. Simple done. Let users opt in to a bulk SMS just like they have for email. Double opt in to receive bulk texts from a trusted business. Let the rest of us text and email our clients. Just seems backwards.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 1:47pm   •  0 likes

If only you and I were in charge, @Frazier Trager ;)

on Mar 9, 2023 at 11:52am   •  0 likes

Well compliance to something that is going to lose your company many users does not seem like a good business strategy. I think you and your competitors who have agreed to this FCC demand without a fight are going to see many small business customers port over to cell service for their business. Guess who wins... The very carriers you are trying to be compliant with. If your company truly wants to be proactive it would be getting together with other providers to change this rule to only apply to bulk SMS messaging... more than one number. Charge more for the campaign side, but let the small businesses continue to help their customers on a one to one basis. Sorry to put the burden on you as I know you are just trying to keep the peace.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 1:12pm   •  1 likes

I'm not sure what you think your complaining is going to achieve here. You're making arguments that no one who has any control over this will ever see.

I have my own complaints with the way RC is going about this on their platform, but the registration process is something that every single US provider is doing right now.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 2:34pm   •  0 likes

Hey Chris, I realize this is a global issue, I just think each VOIP provider should be helping us (small businesses) instead of simply complying with new rules. I have seen a number of other providers at least allowing incoming sms, and some are talking about allowing one to one communication. I just get bothered by compliance when it makes no sense or isn't in the best interest of customers. Why RC is not allowing a single incoming text message so we can at least call the customer is frustrating. Especially when other providers are.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 12:07pm   •  0 likes

Unfortunately, they will scrutinize personal texting as well and if it appears as business SMS, you will be in the same boat.

Also, to clarify campaign is not defined as it normally is, but rather in this case, it is YOUR use case. Person to person SMS would be considered a use case (campaign).
The TCR guidelines use the word campaign in a way that is counterintuitive.

on Mar 9, 2023 at 11:46am   •  0 likes

@Frazier Trager Please know, RingCentral is not enforcing this, but rather the FCC and ultimately the carriers.
We are simply working to be compliant.
Our intention is to support you in this process no matter what your use case is.

Please feel free to ask your questions here or contact my team at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

on Mar 9, 2023 at 12:23pm   •  0 likes

This entire approach to SMS is counterintuitive to small business success and support. It is penalizing all for the mistakes of some.

The worst part is, as long as the large companies comply with the new campaign standards they can still bulk text, yet all of us who just want to reply to customers who text our business number are paying to be compliant.

Campaign vetting fee

$15 (one-time)

All businesses

Syniverse

Plus one of:

Item

Fee

Required for

Charged by

Low volume campaign type

$1.50 (monthly with 3 month minimum commitment)

For businesses sending less than 15,000 messages per month, throughput is restricted to 1 message per second per carrier across all numbers in this campaign.

TCR

Standard campaign type

$10 (monthly with 3 month minimum commitment)

For business sending more than 15,000 messages or more per month from within this campaign or those that require higher throughputs.

TCR
on Mar 9, 2023 at 1:24pm   •  0 likes

There is no denying that customers that use SMS wisely and respectfully are being inconvenienced.
We hear you and feel your pain, but RingCentral has to collaborate with each carrier and those carriers are getting pressure from the FCC.
It's a tough situation for all.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us