question

Barbara Lamar avatar image
Barbara Lamar asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

TCR Registration Consent Forms

SMS is the same thing as a text message, isn't it? We communicate with clients via text messages for their convenience. They usually initiate the text message. We never use text messages for advertising, and we do not ask our clients permission to send text messages, since th client is almost always the one who initiates the exchange via text messages. In my opinion, this whole thing is pointless, but I am willing to do it up to a point. However, I really do not want to bother all my clients with a form to give me permission to respond to their text messages. Do you have any suggestion other than to forego this means of communication?

problem
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

Hey, @Barbara Lamar Obtaining consent is a requirement for all businesses that use SMS.

You don't have to ask your individual clients for consent but you do need to have a place where your policies around consent are noted.
Perhaps this is your website or in some form of communication.

I would review the CTIA guidelines around consent HERE on pages 12 & 13 and then submit with those guidelines in mind.

If you have questions, we're here to help. Please reach out here or shoot us an email at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

0 Likes 0 ·
Barbara Lamar avatar image Barbara Lamar Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you, Becky. I looked at the CTIA guidelines as you suggested, and it refers to the use my business makes of SMS messages as Conversational. It also says the following: "IMPLIED CONSENT If the Consumer initiates the text message exchange and the business only responds to each Consumer with relevant information, then no verbal or written permission is expected "

It is overly burdensome for you to demand that I pay to have our website re-worked to include opt-in and opt-out language, when we have never made any use of SMS other than conversational messages.

Another thought -- today is the first time I knew about this extremely burdensome new requirement. If it is taking weeks to get the registrations approved, then it appears our ability to use SMS messages will be ended anyhow, since March 31 is less than a month away.

I am really sorry we allowed your sales person to talk us into switching to your service. I

-1 Like -1 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Barbara Lamar commented ·

Barbara, Unfortunately, this is an industry shift an this will be required no matter what provider or carrier you work through.
We're happy to assist in making it less burdensome and support you with this transition.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

0 Answers

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app