News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Is there an account wide instant message event webhook?
Tags: webhooks, sms and text messaging
May 11, 2022 at 2:43pm   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
Diego Pastor

Hi community.

We're currently working on a ring central integration to detect the inbound sms for all users in our organization. For the call, we have the account level telephony event presented here https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Account-Telephony-Sessions-Event.

However It looks like for the SMS there's only an extension web hook and this cannot be set for the whole account. https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Instant-Message-Event

Is there a way for a webhook on a main account to recieve all the sms events of all users of the account like in the telephony events?

If not, then i would like to ask if there's a limit on the event filters array when creating a subscription and how that may affect the delivery performance of the sms events. As we don't want to create a web hook per each user.

As context. We have a front end spa application (with 3 legged auth) to handle creating calls and sms and a back end application to handle web hook events (with password or jwt auth)

1 Answer
answered on May 11, 2022 at 4:18pm  

No. But if you authenticate your app with a super admin user credentials, you can subscribe for other extensions instant message using their extension Ids. E.g.

var eventFilters = [
     '/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/244609001/message-store/instant?type=SMS',
     '/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/244609002/message-store/instant?type=SMS',
     '/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/244609003/message-store/instant?type=SMS',
     ]

on May 12, 2022 at 7:07am   •  0 likes

Hi Phong, thanks for answering. In that case, we currently have more than 300 users. If I were to add all of those in the event filters, is there going to be any performance issues or is there a limit for the event inside that array?

on May 12, 2022 at 7:37am   •  0 likes

As far as I know, there is "no limit" of event filters. There could be an actual limit but I believe that it would be much much higher than any real use case.

I don't think that 300 is a big number that would cause a performance issue in terms of incoming text message notification.

May I know the use case of capturing all company incoming text messages in real time?

on May 12, 2022 at 7:47am   •  0 likes

Sure, the business wants to have an internal communications logs that centralizes calls, sms and emailing. (call and sms being done via RC)

That's why we need to detect when a new inbound sms arrives for any user to either fill that in real time (if all info is in the event) or to schedule it for a later update.

We don't want to have a webhook per each user for this, because that would mean that in case we want to debug the subscriptions or administer them, we would need their credentials. So, like with the call events in which you only need a single web hook, we wanted to do something similar for sms

on May 12, 2022 at 8:24am   •  1 likes

Thanks for sharing the use case. If it's just for logging communications and you don't really need it in real time, I would recommend you to consider using the message store export API instead. Its purpose is for handling data retention and for compliances.

If you are interested, read this article for more info.

on May 12, 2022 at 9:30am   •  0 likes

Thanks Phong! I'll look into those options

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us