question

Mike Robinson avatar image
Mike Robinson asked Patrick Nowicki commented

Unassigned Extensions

Hello - is there a method to assign an unassigned extension to a user via the API? I tried 2 methods and neither worked so I am curious if I am doing something wrong or if there just isn't a way to do this yet.

I first tried using 'Update Device': https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/accountId/device/deviceId
I used a deviceId of an unassigned extension and passed in the extension id of an existing user. This method resulted in the following error: "Unknown device update use case".

I then tried using 'Update Extension': https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/accountId/extension/extensionId
I used the extensionId of an unassigned extension, and passed in the user contact information (the user did not exist in RC). The API request went through, but when I went to look in RC, the extension was still in the 'Unassigned Extensions' section and when I clicked on the link, it brought up a read-only page showing the contact info I added to the extension but nothing could be updated. I had to assign the extension to someone else manually to get the extension out of the 'Unassigned' list.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated - thank you!

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Patrick Nowicki commented

Here is how you can assign an unassigned extension. I assumed that you can read and use Node JS and RingCentral JS SDK. But if not, let me know.

function find_unassigned_extensions(){
    platform.get('/account/~/extension')
        .then(function (resp) {
          var jsonObj = resp.json()
          for (var record of jsonObj.records){
            if (record.type == "User" && record.status == "Unassigned"){
              //console.log(JSON.stringify(record))
              //console.log("======")
              if (record.id == "260981XXX"){ // The extension you want to assi
                assign_this_extension_to_a_new_user(record.id)
              }
            }
          }
        })
        .catch(function(e){
          console.log(e.message)
        });
}

function assign_this_extension_to_a_new_user(extId){
  var params = {
    extensionNumber: 202, // leave this or make sure the number are not being used
      firstName: "Demo",
      lastName: "Automated",
      company: "Test",
      jobTitle: "consultant",
      email: "valid.email@address.com",
      emailAsLoginName: true
    },
    password: "some-password"
  }
  platform.put('/account/~/extension/' + extId, params)
      .then(function (resp) {
        var jsonObj = resp.json()
        console.log(jsonObj)
      })
      .catch(function(e){
        console.log(e.message)
      });
}

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Patrick Nowicki avatar image Patrick Nowicki commented ·

Thanks Phong!

I was missing the 'status: Enabled' in my function call which is what caused mine to not work. After adding that param, all was good.

1 Like 1 ·
Mike Robinson avatar image
Mike Robinson answered

Appreciate the response Phong! Node is just fine - that is the same function call I used but our params don't quite match up, so I will try it again and report back.

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys