News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Newly added Polycom phone is showing all lines as the user
Tags: presence, hardware, settings
Nov 10, 2021 at 7:13am   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
Brian Suarez

I recently inherited our RingCentral account and recently formatted and added a polycom phone to our system. On this new phone it has 6 lines available and all of them are displaying the users name. On other phones on our system it is only showing the first 2 lines with the users name. I'm not able to change the settings on the phone because the password gets changed to something I don't know on the phone and I'm not able to remote connect to the phones IP address. I also see for this user, in their presence, they are showing only 2 lines with their name. Is this a local phone setting I can adjust or is the setting somewhere on the RC Admin portal? Is there a section in the RC Admin portal that I can see the config settings to find the password and/or reset it?

3 Answers
answered on Dec 1, 2021 at 6:28am  

Hello,

The only way I found to remove the extra lines (outside of adding presence, as stated above) is to log into the Web UI as Admin and navigate to Utilities -> Line Key Configuration. Highlight the line and change "No. of Line Appearances" to the desired number.

This will show the user on line 1 only and remove the extra lines without adding Presence. This really should be built into the portal and the "workaround" to remove the extra lines by adding presence for a line you may not need doesn't make sense to me.

on Dec 1, 2021 at 7:45am   •  0 likes

Hi Joe, if you have suggestions or recommendations on this feature, please add it to our Ideas Portal at https://ideas.ringcentral.com/.

answered on Nov 10, 2021 at 2:33pm  

Correct. Although, it will have to be an extension listed within the Assign Extension offerings. (No IVRs, Announcement Only, etc.)

on Nov 15, 2021 at 12:37pm   •  0 likes

Ok, I've assigned myself the 3rd line, the phone shows correctly as the User on lines 1 and 2 and myself as line 3. I go to remove myself from the line and it reverts back to showing all the lines as the user. Am I missing a step or setting somewhere?

on Nov 16, 2021 at 10:30am   •  0 likes

Hello Brian,

You have done everything correctly and the device is behaving as expected.

If you wish to have the user's name appear only on lines 1 & 2, then a more permanent extension should be programmed on line 3.

There is no harm in allowing the user's extension to appear on every line item if there is no need for any additional buttons to be programmed.

on Nov 16, 2021 at 11:41am   •  0 likes

OK, good deal. it's more of trying to make the phones uniform throughout our offices. my predecessor did something where only the users name shows on lines 1 and 2 and the other lines were empty. I discussed with one of my users about it and they said it's fine, just as long as they get their calls :) .

on Nov 16, 2021 at 11:44am   •  0 likes

Excellent! If I find any information on what your colleague may have done, I will pop back in and share it.

on Nov 16, 2021 at 11:45am   •  0 likes

Sounds great, thank you for the assistance :)

answered on Nov 10, 2021 at 8:14am  

Hello Brian,

When a user hasn't programmed any speed dials/Presence the device displays the extension name on all lines.

You will not need to know the password for the device to program the lines. You will need to access the Admin Portal > Users > Users with Extensions > locate the extension > Phones & Numbers > Presence > Assign Extension to line 3.

This will unlock the device for the user to program lines from the device directly and will remove the user's name from all lines. (Their name will always be assigned to lines 1 and 2.)

(The user can also do this for themselves by signing into service.ringcentral.com if they have permissions to manage their own settings.)

Here is a link to Presence FAQ's:
https://support.ringcentral.com/article/Presence-Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

on Apr 21, 2023 at 7:40pm   •  0 likes

Hello! I know this is an old thread, but it is very relevant to my problem. It’s actually the opposite case. I would like to restore the lines to have lines 3 and 4 assigned back to the user (in addition to lines 1 and 2) and make the rest of the lines (5-12 on my Poly 450 phone) available for presence. However, if I try to remove presence from another extension on lines 3 and 4, the system does not let me assign a line back to the user, only another extension, so if I delete it, there is a blank assignment on lines 3 and 4 and I can’t even press that button. This means that I either have 2 lines on this extension (and the user won’t be able to pick up more than 2 calls) or all 12 assigned to the user, but I can’t have 3 or 4 and the rest be used for presence. Is this true? That doesn’t make sense to me. Can that be changed? Please let me know…

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

on Nov 10, 2021 at 2:07pm   •  0 likes

Any Extension assigned to line 3 will unlock it?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us