question

jason4335 avatar image
jason4335 asked Cremation Lab edited

SMS Conversations

Now that I have sending SMS working on development on the RC API which can be done through our web-based system, I need to figure out how to match incoming messages (responses to our texts) so the "conversation" is shown much like you see in a normal texting conversation (at least until we delete or "close" that conversation say another subject) and start a new one.

We don't need real-time notification like provided through web hooks, because we have a "Message Center" that we check that processes and checks for new emails and it could check for new SMS messages.

From what I can tell in the documentation, you can use the Get Message List call and each message should have a conversation_Id which can be match to the conversation_Id attached to the outgoing message just sent.

First, does that make sense?

Second, assuming it does, would that be the best way to accomplish it?

Thanks,

Jason

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered jason4335 commented
Jason,

for SMS mesages Conversation ID is automatically generated basing on a "from" and "to" phone numbers. So all replies will have the same conversation ID and it lets you display conversation threads. So I think your idea is right here.  
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jason4335 avatar image jason4335 commented ·
When you say "generated," it builds the conversation Id from the numbers in some random fashion, because the conversation id I have has no similarity to the to and from number.

I do know that it seems to be the same always between the same to and from number.
0 Likes 0 ·
Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

Yes it is... you can use the same conversation ID and that will match with the original message and the reply message. It can create a series of sms as a thread

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys