News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
RingCentral App and Classic can no longer authenticate with Google SAML
Tags: ringcentral app, google, ringcentral app, log in
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:12am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
Kerry Williams

I have recently been unable to authenticate using Google SAML with the RingCentral desktop app or Classic app. I do not believe the issue to be a SAML issue as the account being used to authenticate will work in other cases with RingCentral like RingCentral Phone, RC app on IOS & Android.

After some searching I found this blog from Google.

https://developers.googleblog.com/2020/08/guidance-for-our-effort-to-block-less-secure-browser-and-apps.html

Which explains the behavior I am experiencing with the RingCentral desktop apps previously mentioned. I believe both the RC app/classic are running an embedded version of Electron and would fall in the embedded browser category. I think this may be a wider issue at least in my instance and hasn't been a real problem yet due to SAML being able to have a persistent session, but after log out I have not been able to authenticate again.

Actual text of the message from Google.

This browser or app may not be secure. Learn more

Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in.

My question would be has there been any further reporting of this issue or am I an isolated case?

on Nov 11, 2020 at 2:06pm   •  1 likes

Seeing this issue also, following.

1 Answer
answered on Nov 16, 2020 at 8:00am  

I believe this issue may have been resolved by Google at least in my instance of G-suite. I am basing this off what I can determine has changed and the behavior I could produce. Though it may still be too early to tell and I have no indications that either RC or Google has changed anything. The RC app has an update as of 11/12/20 and RC Classic last update was 10/26/20 neither could login as of 11/13. Both can authenticate as of today 11/16/20.

on Nov 19, 2020 at 8:52am   •  0 likes

Hey, @Kerry Williams Thanks for circling back and following up on your experience.
Let us know if there are any other challenges.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us