News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Using desktop phone and call forwarding in Europe
Tags: international
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:25am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
Raychelle Wheeler

I am spending 4 weeks in the UK and will be working remotely while I'm there. Am I able to take my Ring Central desktop phone with me and plug it into my wifi, and use it through my computer? Will this allow phone calls to come in from the US and allow me to call the US as if i was still in the States, or will there be extra charges associated? On that same note, if this is something I can do, would I be able to still use the call forwarding feature to send phone calls to my mobile phone while in the UK? I am trying to avoid any extra charges and I can't find detailed information about a situation like this.

on Feb 13, 2023 at 1:27pm   •  0 likes

Hi @Raychelle Wheeler, I am about to be traveling and doing the same thing. Is everything with your ring central number working correctly so far? I have it on my laptop and phone and hoping to use my number as usual while I'm over there.

on Feb 14, 2023 at 5:45am   •  0 likes

Hi Heather,

It worked perfectly while I was traveling! I wasn't able to call forward to my mobile since I wasn't using that number, but I didn't really need that feature so I didn't mess around with it.

I took a long Ethernet cable with me, because you have to plug the desktop phone directly into the Wifi router, but that's all I had to do! I already had the app installed on my laptop, and as long as my laptop was connected to the same wifi, it worked perfectly. I would keep your ethernet cable at 50-100 feet at the longest, shorter if possible. The longer the cable the fainter the connection. But otherwise it was extremely easy to setup!

on Feb 14, 2023 at 6:41am   •  -1 likes

Hi Raychelle,

Thank you so much for your response! I hadn't thought about bringing an ethernet cable, I will be staying in an Airbandb and know they have stable wifi, but unsure if I have access to the actual router. Do you know if I'll be able to connect to wifi as normal if I have the app on my laptop?

Thank you in advance.

on Feb 14, 2023 at 7:01am   •  0 likes

If you're using the desktop phone, I know that definitely needs to be directly plugged into the router, if you're only planning to use the app through your computer, I'm not sure how you would set that up, maybe by selecting the option to transfer all calls to that device? I forget where that is in the settings but I've used it before.

1 Answer
answered on Feb 14, 2023 at 5:44am  

Hi Heather,

It worked perfectly while I was traveling! I wasn't able to call forward to my mobile since I wasn't using that number, but I didn't really need that feature so I didn't mess around with it.

I took a long Ethernet cable with me, because you have to plug the desktop phone directly into the Wifi router, but that's all I had to do! I already had the app installed on my laptop, and as long as my laptop was connected to the same wifi, it worked perfectly. I would keep your ethernet cable at 50-100 feet at the longest, shorter if possible. The longer the cable the fainter the connection. But otherwise it was extremely easy to setup!

answered on Dec 2, 2022 at 1:21pm  

Yes, as long as you have the app and are logged in. There will be no additional charges.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us