News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
macOS Universal Application - Apple Silicon M1
Tags: ringcentral app, hardware, ringcentral app
Dec 21, 2020 at 7:48am   •   21 replies  •  7 likes
Joe Bishop

I see Zoom has announced support for Apple M1 processors today. With RC's underlying tech being "powered by Zoom", should we expect a native Apple Silicon macOS desktop app soon? I'd love to enroll in beta program for this if there is such a thing. Thanks!

on Mar 23, 2021 at 8:49am   •  0 likes

The RingCentral app now has an M1 Download!
You can find that on the Downloads Page HERE.

on Oct 21, 2021 at 1:59pm   •  0 likes

It's still not a universal binary with native support on Apple Silicon. Any updates?

on Oct 21, 2021 at 2:30pm   •  1 likes

Hey, team!

I have a message out to the Product Team on this issue.

Please standby and I will update you when I hear back.

on Oct 21, 2021 at 2:39pm   •  1 likes

Thank you very much!

on Apr 6, 2021 at 8:21am   •  0 likes

Hi @Becky-Community_Manager any update on the M1 native app?

on Mar 23, 2021 at 1:10pm   •  0 likes

Not sure if you saw my response and others confirming this, but the macOS M1 installer is still just a standard Intel app.

on Mar 23, 2021 at 2:54pm   •  0 likes

Hey, @Joe Bishop - We're checking in with our engineers on this issue.
Please stay tuned.

on Apr 28, 2021 at 2:14pm   •  1 likes

Any update? Just downloaded the version from the M1 download link to still have the application show as "intel" on my M1 MacBook with the activity monitor application.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 6:54am   •  0 likes

I found that I had to completely uninstall the old app and then install the M1 version in order for all the old setting to be replaced so that the application registered properly. I would suggest uninstalling before installing the M1 version. Even better if you can do a deep uninstall and get rid of all the extraneous files (using something like https://cleanerone.trendmicro.com/cleaner-one-pro-for-mac)

on Jan 25, 2022 at 7:03am   •  0 likes

Hi Joe, I did uninstall the old one. See my not below one what's occurring.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 7:02am   •  0 likes

Ok.. here's what I found. Once you've installed the M1 version if you check it shows it's an Apple version.

ringcentral-after-m1-install.png

HOWEVER,

If you go into the preferences and check the version you will see the following message:

ringcentral-restart-to-update.png

The update it installs, puts it back to the intel version. So if you quite the app, it reverts back to the intel version (or if you hit that restart to update button, either restarting manually or hitting the button makes it "update" back to the intel version).

on Jan 25, 2022 at 8:33am   •  0 likes

Another interesting tidbit. The app restarted itself, and indeed all the services show up as intel based again.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 8:37am   •  1 likes

@Becky-Community_Manager - are you going to follow through on this or should we be contacting support directly?

on Jan 26, 2022 at 9:13am   •  0 likes

@joe-ramsay My understanding is that they released it and then rolled it back for some issues that arose.
We're waiting on product to identify when it will be re-released.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 1:41pm   •  0 likes

Hi, we apologize for the confusion. The Product Team released the M1 build, but they found an issue with one of the features so they will roll it back. Right now, the M1 link for downloads has been removed and will be available once it's fixed.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 6:48am   •  0 likes

This worked for me, go to

https://support.ringcentral.com/download.html

Download and install the Mac for M1 version.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 6:41am   •  0 likes

I downloaded and installed this version (arm package) and it still shows up as an Intel application

Version: 22.1.10.305 Web, 21.4.30.2576 Mac

Date: 2022-01-19 07:59:49

ringcentral-m1-version.png

on Jan 24, 2022 at 9:47pm   •  0 likes

As of today 1/24/2022, I do see the M1 Mac version is available for download.

on Jan 25, 2022 at 8:32am   •  0 likes

OK @Greg Conner I see what you mean. I am now having the same issue. The app correctly installs with version 22.1.10.305 Web, 22.1.10.38 Mac but then after the app is restarted it "updates" and reverts to version 22.1.10.305 Web, 21.4.30.2576 Mac (the Intel version).

Is there someone in this forum who can address this issue? I will also report it to the support desk.

on Nov 1, 2021 at 7:40pm   •  1 likes

Even if it's not out yet, having a general ballpark idea when it might be released will be very helpful. Open to beta testing as well. The current version runs sluggish on Apple Silicon and we are eagerly looking for improvement.

on Nov 2, 2021 at 12:06pm   •  0 likes

Agreed! I keep hearing that they have requests out to development internally, but there has been zero communication otherwise.

on Nov 2, 2021 at 12:31pm   •  1 likes

My understanding is that this is coming this quarter. When I have an update on this, I'll be sharing information here.
Stay tuned.

on Jan 12, 2022 at 8:05am   •  1 likes

Any further update on this? Last quarter has come and gone. I'm quite confused as to what is taking so long. Zoom had their M1 optimized version of their app out more than a year ago. I can't imagine there is that much within your application that needs to be modified to compile it for an M1 machine.

on Jan 12, 2022 at 3:10pm   •  0 likes

It appears to have been pushed a little.
But my hope is that we'll see this in the coming weeks. Please stay tuned. We'll be sure to share additional details here and in the Ideas Portal when it is implemented.

on Nov 2, 2021 at 12:38pm   •  0 likes

That's great - I really appreciate you letting us know! We'll keep our eye on this, as several M1 Macs are being deployed this quarter on our end.

on Sep 17, 2021 at 11:09am   •  1 likes

I also have a desire to utilize this on my M1 Macbook. @Becky-Community_Manager

on Apr 28, 2021 at 1:43pm   •  3 likes

Checking macOS "Activity Monitor" on my M1 MacBook confirms that the application type is "intel". Possibly wrong package was posted to the website?

on Sep 17, 2021 at 11:10am   •  1 likes

Running into the same issue.

on Oct 21, 2021 at 2:00pm   •  0 likes

Yes - They have not yet updated the app to be universal with native support for Apple Silicon or the M1.

on Apr 1, 2021 at 8:48am   •  1 likes

Any update on this?

on Apr 6, 2021 at 8:27am   •  -1 likes

Sorry, @Joe Bishop I don't have an update at this time.
We will update this thread as soon as we have more details.

on Oct 21, 2021 at 1:32pm   •  1 likes

Any update on when the M1 Native or Universal app will be released? 21.3.351.1932 is still Intel based

on Oct 21, 2021 at 1:58pm   •  0 likes

This is very important to our teams as well. I find it concerning that there hasn't been any communication around an expected timeline when your clients are deploying more Apple Silicon and M1 Macs on an ongoing basis. Our technology and operations teams need to know that your development teams understand the importance and are committed to the effort.

on Mar 23, 2021 at 9:30am   •  1 likes

Possible I am missing something, however the M1 indicated installer appears to still be Intel-only. I double-checked that I've got the correct version, 21.1.29. I also uninstalled and reinstalled, and it still runs as Intel, does not appear to be a Universal Application. Perhaps the wrong package was pushed to the download page?

1616516620126.png1616516804592.png

1616516919697.png

on Oct 21, 2021 at 2:01pm   •  0 likes

You are correct. They still have not added native support.

on Mar 23, 2021 at 9:57am   •  1 likes

Same for me ... the app still shows as Application Kind = Intel

on Mar 23, 2021 at 2:55pm   •  0 likes

Working with our engineers! We'll provide more information as it becomes available.

on Jan 12, 2021 at 8:14am   •  0 likes

Hello Everyone, you may request for this feature. Please visit our Idea Portal at https://ringcentral.ideas.aha.io/

on Jan 12, 2021 at 6:39am   •  1 likes

We also need a version of the RC App (GLIP) for M1. Any word on when that can be expected?

on Jan 11, 2021 at 7:26am   •  1 likes

This is also a need for our company as we start to rollout the new M1 Macbook Airs to our Sales dept.

If there is Beta I would like to get a couple of my IT staff on it

Mike M

on Oct 21, 2021 at 2:00pm   •  0 likes

We might be interested as well.

on Jan 22, 2021 at 9:28am   •  1 likes

It seems that any business that uses RC and Mac clients will need this sooner rather than later since Apple is transitioning all of its systems to Apple Silicon. Assuming RingCentral continues to offer cross-platform compatibility, the question here is when not if. It would be good to have some communication to customers regarding the target timeline for this support so that we can all plan accordingly.

on Dec 28, 2020 at 2:47pm   •  1 likes

I also have a strong desire to see an Apple Silicon "universal app" version to support the new M1 MacBook Air and M1 MacBook Pro laptops.

2 Answers
answered on Feb 16, 2023 at 11:20am  

Over a year later and it's still showing as Intel for me in activity monitor. I just reinstalled to make sure I had the correct version. The RingCentral process shows as Apple, but Meetings and two threads of "Meetings Helper" are all Intel. Will this ever be updated?screen-shot-2023-02-16-at-22005-pm.png

answered on Feb 2, 2022 at 8:30am  

Good news! RingCentral 22.1.11 was released today.

The link for downloading M1 will soon be available on the RingCentral Downloads Site. Stay tuned!

on Feb 2, 2022 at 2:01pm   •  0 likes

This is wonderful news. Would you kindly post here when the M1 native package is made available in the RingCentral App Gallery? There is an option to download an M1 version of the RingCentral app, but its version is still 22.1.10.38.

Is the new version you mentioned an M1 native app or will it still require Rosetta to function?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

on Feb 2, 2022 at 2:23pm   •  1 likes

It is a native build for M1 Mac. We'll let you know once it's available for download.

on Feb 2, 2022 at 2:06pm   •  1 likes

https://app.ringcentral.com/download/RingCentral-arm64.pkg it's up!

on Feb 2, 2022 at 2:12pm   •  0 likes

Thanks for the direct link! It appears the RC App Gallery hasn't been updated with the package you provided.

on Feb 2, 2022 at 2:16pm   •  -1 likes

the RC app itself does appear to be arm this time, but the RingCentral Meetings it wraps is still intel /sigh

on Feb 2, 2022 at 2:19pm   •  1 likes

Well, it's a start at least. Thanks again for the assist.

answered on Jan 22, 2021 at 9:27am  

It seems that any business that uses RC and Mac clients will need this sooner rather than later since Apple is transitioning all of its systems to Apple Silicon. Assuming RingCentral continues to offer cross-platform compatibility, the question here is when not if. It would be good to have some communication to customers regarding the target timeline for this support so that we can all plan accordingly.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us